Dura Ace R9170 Di2 Shifters - some questions

bikejon
bikejon Posts: 12
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
I currently run an Ultegra 6870 Di2 mechanical disc brake system, with the older external battery. I have post mount frame with a flat mount fork (currently with a converter to PM). I wish to upgrade the brakes to hydraulic. I've seen the DA R9170 shifters for a good price - close enough to the new Ultegra ones to go for them instead. So now my questions.
1) I plan to use a flat mount brake on the front (I already have a suitable caliper) but will the levers also work with a post mount caliper on the rear?
2) Will the shifters perform a basic up and down shift without firmware upgrades and/or battery replacement? I'm not concerned by the additional semi sync shifting, hood buttons, BT etc for now.
3) Anyone want to buy 6870 Di2 shifters and TRP Hy/Rd calipers? ;-)
(I may keep the calipers for another bike).
Thanks in advance,
Jon

Comments

• mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    1) Yes.
    2) Maybe, but be prepared to update anyway.
    3) No.
  • kofsw4
    kofsw4 Posts: 39
    bikejon wrote:
    I've seen the DA R9170 shifters for a good price - close enough to the new Ultegra ones to go for them instead.
    Jon

Would you mind sharing where/how much? I've been looking at these, cheapest I've seen the r9170s for is about £525 compared to the Ultegra versions (r8070) for €410 - £360 here:

https://r2-bike.com/SHIMANO-Ultegra-Di2 ... Brake-Hose
  • bikejon
  • bikejon
    kofsw4 wrote:
    bikejon wrote:
    I've seen the DA R9170 shifters for a good price - close enough to the new Ultegra ones to go for them instead.
    Jon

Would you mind sharing where/how much? I've been looking at these, cheapest I've seen the r9170s for is about £525 compared to the Ultegra versions (r8070) for €410 - £360 here:

https://r2-bike.com/SHIMANO-Ultegra-Di2 ... Brake-Hose

Probikekit. Mine came up at £520, reducing to £500 with cashback via Quidco. You've found a better price for the Ultegra ones than I did.
  • kofsw4
    kofsw4 Posts: 39
    bikejon wrote:
    Probikekit. Mine came up at £520, reducing to £500 with cashback via Quidco. You've found a better price for the Ultegra ones than I did.

Thanks, I saw them at PBK too but hadn't factored in cashback.

I saw a video where a Shimano guy was explaining that the new Ultegra shifters were identical to the dura ace ones apart from the levers being aluminium rather than carbon and therefore 40g heavier so went for the r8070s...
  • bikejon
    kofsw4 wrote:
    bikejon wrote:

Thanks, I saw them at PBK too but hadn't factored in cashback.

I saw a video where a Shimano guy was explaining that the new Ultegra shifters were identical to the dura ace ones apart from the levers being aluminium rather than carbon and therefore 40g heavier so went for the r8070s...
    Fair enough. I had fully intended on going for the Ultegra ones too (I was actually eyeing up the full 8070 group but it's only my brakes that could do with an upgrade). The Ultegra shifters I checked were not showing in stock. I probably should have exercised more patience.