Canyon Sale periods?

ajdobbin
ajdobbin Posts: 41
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
So I’ve got my eye on a new Canyon, and keep getting very close to buying (it’s been in my ‘basket’ many times already!).

I bought an Endurace last year on sale (in September) and was wondering if Canyon have specific periods in the year for sales. Or should I just bite the bullet and get the thing bought now?

I just wouldn’t want to buy it today and find out in a week or two that it’s been reduced.

Thanks

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Isn't their "sale" on now?

How about contacting them, ask them if they will refund the difference if it's reduced in the next 30 days?
  • robu
    robu Posts: 26
    Like you, I’m considering a Canyon purchase and wondering about the sales periods.

I prevaricated about buying one all of last year, so had a chance to study Canyon's sales tactics. There was a wholesale sale (discounts on all models) during the Tour de France. I believe Canyon does this every year, and in 2017 the sale was extended to the end of July, although many of the most popular sizes sold out very quickly. And in September or thereabouts, Canyon discounted what remained of the 2017 models to make space for the 2018 models. Again, not all sizes were available and some of the 2017 (and 2016) models are now discounted in the Canyon outlet.

I might be wrong, but I don’t recall Canyon having a January sale last year. However, for a very brief period, like only a week, I think it discounted some of its models in early to mid-February, which is when I believe a lot of its new model orders are scheduled to be sent to customers. I have the impression that only the lesser-selling models were discounted – i.e. those for which it had not received fewer orders – but again I might be wrong about this.

Just out of interest, what model are you considering? And what did you think of the Endurace? I quite fancy the Endurace CF SLX 8.0 Di2. Any thoughts/advice?
  • Isn't their "sale" on now?

How about contacting them, ask them if they will refund the difference if it's reduced in the next 30 days?

Yeah that might be worth a try.
    robu wrote:
    Like you, I’m considering a Canyon purchase and wondering about the sales periods.

I prevaricated about buying one all of last year, so had a chance to study Canyon's sales tactics. There was a wholesale sale (discounts on all models) during the Tour de France. I believe Canyon does this every year, and in 2017 the sale was extended to the end of July, although many of the most popular sizes sold out very quickly. And in September or thereabouts, Canyon discounted what remained of the 2017 models to make space for the 2018 models. Again, not all sizes were available and some of the 2017 (and 2016) models are now discounted in the Canyon outlet.

I might be wrong, but I don’t recall Canyon having a January sale last year. However, for a very brief period, like only a week, I think it discounted some of its models in early to mid-February, which is when I believe a lot of its new model orders are scheduled to be sent to customers. I have the impression that only the lesser-selling models were discounted – i.e. those for which it had not received fewer orders – but again I might be wrong about this.

Just out of interest, what model are you considering? And what did you think of the Endurace? I quite fancy the Endurace CF SLX 8.0 Di2. Any thoughts/advice?

To be honest my Endurace was my first road bike, and I started with the low end AL 5.0 (worlds away from the SLX you’re looking at!) I basically bought it to see if I enjoyed road cycling before spending more serious amounts of money on a bike. I have definitely been bitten by the bug and I’m looking at the Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0 myself.
  • ajdobbin wrote:
    Isn't their "sale" on now?

Yeah that might be worth a try.
    robu wrote:

I might be wrong, but I don’t recall Canyon having a January sale last year. However, for a very brief period, like only a week, I think it discounted some of its models in early to mid-February, which is when I believe a lot of its new model orders are scheduled to be sent to customers. I have the impression that only the lesser-selling models were discounted – i.e. those for which it had not received fewer orders – but again I might be wrong about this.

To be honest my Endurace was my first road bike, and I started with the low end AL 5.0 (worlds away from the SLX you’re looking at!) I basically bought it to see if I enjoyed road cycling before spending more serious amounts of money on a bike. I have definitely been bitten by the bug and I’m looking at the Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0 myself.

I also bought a cheap Alu bike and in less than a year am getting serious, I was very close to buying the Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0 you are looking at but just ordered the 2017 Ultimate CF SL Disc 9.0 Aero with discount from their sale section, its 200 pound more but has the carbon rims and aero cockpit which are worth about 1000 quid, only downside is its the slighlty older Ultegra and can't choose blue. Also not sure what size you are but they have smalls in the sale.
  • Deano802 wrote:
    I also bought a cheap Alu bike and in less than a year am getting serious, I was very close to buying the Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0 you are looking at but just ordered the 2017 Ultimate CF SL Disc 9.0 Aero with discount from their sale section, its 200 pound more but has the carbon rims and aero cockpit which are worth about 1000 quid, only downside is its the slighlty older Ultegra and can't choose blue. Also not sure what size you are but they have smalls in the sale.

Sounds like a pretty good deal that. I take it by sales section you mean the Outlet? Unfortunately I would need a size L otherwise I would consider that myself. But I can’t get away from how nice the Stage Race Blue looks on the 8.0
  • ajdobbin wrote:
    Deano802 wrote:

Sounds like a pretty good deal that. I take it by sales section you mean the Outlet? Unfortunately I would need a size L otherwise I would consider that myself. But I can’t get away from how nice the Stage Race Blue looks on the 8.0

Yeah the outlet. I am actually gutted about the stage race blue as I really wanted it but I just couldn't justify it just for the colour, the carbon wheels retail for about 800 alone plus the cockpit is 370. I did go back and forth a few times.

If they didn't have the deal in the outlet I would have bought the new 8.0. just go for it otherwise you will wait for a discount and the season will be over, and even mid season what will the discount be realistically a couple of hundred quid. Luckily I got a bike fit before as I would have gone for a medium as canyon suggest but the fitter put me into small with a slightly longer stem.

I have also thought of a couple of ways I can mix up the stealth look with fluo yellow bar tape and changing the decals on the wheels to fluorescent yellow also, plus it might be a safety feature also!v :)