Carbon chainstay wall thickness query

_mat_
_mat_ Posts: 2
edited January 2018 in Workshop
Hey y'all

Just wondering if anyone knows the approximate thickness of the average carbon road bike chainstay?

I had my bike on my Lemond trainer the other day (with the back wheel off) and noticed a few gouges out of the chainstays. My rim and tyre has obviously been munching through the paint and into the carbon. There's a noticeable indent when you run your finger over the marks.

The bike is a 2015 Supersix Evo lo-mod, which I know have issues with tyre clearance. For this reason, I went down to a 23c tyre after having issues with 25s. The wheels are Reynolds 58 Aero clinchers with a 15.5mm internal width.

My concern is obviously the structural integrity of the frame. I'd rather not having something go "ping" underneath me mid-way through a sprint.

Photo is at the link below:
https://ibb.co/jWDeBb

Cheers!

Mat

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Just as there's no such thing as an 'average carbon road bike', there's not going to be anything like an 'average carbon chainstay thickness' either, as it will vary according to layup, manufacturer design, individual tube shape and where on the stay you are measuring.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Doesn't look very dramatic to me. Mainly Paint and s small amount of Carbon ? I'd not be worried.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've done the same on my CR1 and switched to a 23mm tyre on the rear. Don't think the 25mm tyre was actually rubbing, but the clearance was too tight and if it picked up any road crap it was forced through the gap and I've got gouging both sides. Was considering filling them but don't think I can be bothered. Think the CF is quite thick at that point...
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Might be worth just putting some clear lacquer over it but I'd not be worried. I would however try and avoid further abrading of those areas.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D