Cannondale CAAD12 Ultegra sizing (Triathlon?)

jagarda
jagarda Posts: 5
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
After looking at many reviews I've narrowed down my search to something in the range of a Cannondale CAAD12 Ultegra 2017 for my next road bike purchase. The problem is that I don't have the possibility to try the bike before purchase as I live in Sweden and don't have Cannondale-resellers nearby.

Usually I go for a 56 cm bike but after reading multiple forum posts I've seen a lot of people around my size go for either a 54 or a 56 cm. It seems as if Cannondale have larger sizes on their bikes compared to other manufacturers?

My question: Which size would be recommended for me? I'm 179 cm with an inner leg length of ~85-86 cm. Also I'm planning on attaching aero rods in the future as I have plans for amateur triathlons. Would this change which size I should choose?

I've seen some 2017 Cannondales online for around £1400. Would also appreciate advice on other bikes in the same price range (or should i just be happy with the Cannondale?)

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    It's a great road bike.. not exactly overwhelmed by its suitability for tri s though.. if this is going to be its main use.
    You'd probably get away with a 54... even lower front end.
  • Yes 54...
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I'm 180cm and would ride a 54. As you're going to be using clip-ons, the shorter head tube will let you get a better position on the bike. As far as other bikes are concerned, well I honestly don't think you can do better than the CAAD for the price.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Thanks for the great advice, I'll probably go for the 54 cm CAAD12

The only model close enough to getting the same amount of praise in this price range seems to be the Canyon Endurace. But I'm having a difficult time finding them on other websites than their own. Looking for older models mostly as I cant really afford the new ones with Ultegra groupset
  • jagarda wrote:
    The only model close enough to getting the same amount of praise in this price range seems to be the Canyon Endurace. But I'm having a difficult time finding them on other websites than their own.

That's because they only sell them direct.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I would wager a 54 as well. I am the same dimensions as you, and I personally would find a 56 tt too long.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • jagarda wrote:
    The only model close enough to getting the same amount of praise in this price range seems to be the Canyon Endurace. But I'm having a difficult time finding them on other websites than their own.

That's because they only sell them direct.

Haha ok, no wonder I couldn't find any then :) Seems like I missed the winter sales, can't seem to find any older models on the website in my size
    Daniel B wrote:
    I would wager a 54 as well. I am the same dimensions as you, and I personally would find a 56 tt too long.
    Alright, I'm heading out to London next week, might as well look up a reseller and see if I can find any 54 cm
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    If you are flying into Gatwick, I see the Gatwick Evans store has some in stock.
    Whether they have any built and on the floor though is a different matter. Might be worth contacting them ahead of time.
    What type of brakes are you going for?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    If you are flying into Gatwick, I see the Gatwick Evans store has some in stock.
    Whether they have any built and on the floor though is a different matter. Might be worth contacting them ahead of time.
    What type of brakes are you going for?
    Thanks for the advice but unfortunently I won't be passing through Gatwick this time. I'll probably pass through Victoria or Oxford street at some point where I saw that they had Evans stores. I'm going for the rim brakes for this purchase