First TT bike

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 848
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Completed my first Triathlon last year and I'm looking to take it a lot more seriously starting with a TT bike. Been using a Giant Propel sometimes with clip on bars and I've just seen a Giant Trinity for sale which looks perfect.

As for sizing - I ride a propel in small (5' 9 and feels great).. would I still likely look at a Trinity small frame as well or would it not be as easy as that. It felt okay riding it, but just want to be sure.

Thanks

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Now that 3cm in no longer an issue, you have no DQ risk if your frame is too small, so a Trinity in small would likely be just fine. As far as what's good, well with the right components and and aero testing any frame can be made fast. What you definitely shouldn't do is spend money on overpriced bling that won't make you faster (I'm looking at you Lightweight, Enve, Zipp, et al.).
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    The small Trinity is actually not that small. I'm 5-10 and according to Giant should be on a medium but that was too long and high for me. I had to get a shorter than stock stem on a small to get a decent fit too.

At 5-9 (assuming fairly normal proportions) there's no way you'd consider anything bigger than the S, that's for sure.

Nice bikes 8)
  • chatlow
    thanks both. Yeah definitely looks like small is the way to go. Deciding between this Trinity advanced (105) and the Cervelo p2. Difficult choice but as the Trinity is practically brand new from last year, without a scratch on it, I'm inclined to go for that.

Just have to sign up for IronMan Wales now !!
  • Grill
    I prefer the P2, but you can't go wrong either way.
  • chatlow
    actually just realised it's a 2015 P3 I was keen on but I missed out on a good deal and wondering if another will come along at around the 1200 mark like before :-/

Only thing stopping me grabbing the Trinity at the moment is that I bought my propel advanced pro 2 last year as it's great for both sportives and some tri's and wondering if I will see a big improvement in times have the TT as well
  • Grill
    That's a great deal on a P3. Reckon a few more will come up around that price before the season starts (the only difference between it and the P2 is the fork, so don't let that stop you if a P2 comes up).

The TT bike will be more aero with the right bar selection, but more than that the position you can achieve on a TT bike is where you really pick up the aero gains.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've not done IM Wales but from what I've seen it's not the best course for a TT bike. Twisty hilly windy.

It's a bit Like IM Nice and even some of the pros use road bikes there.
  • chatlow
    thanks and good to know. Unless a P2 or 3 shows up this weekend close to me in Wales, then I will likely go for the Trinity as he's happy with 1k for the 2016 model which looks brand new and has receipt too. Seems a good deal as they are going for around 2-300 more in worse condition.

And yeah, I actually noticed that on the IM wales highlights - a lot more than expected were on roadies not TT, even some of the pros. I did long course last year on my propel which was good, although I was begging for a lower gear up some of the hills!
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    Like Grill said they are both good bikes so no worries either way if you go for it. The small trinity is sort of between a 54 and 51 p2/3 which is right for me - I always seem to be between sizes on Cervelos! The fit, as always, is the most important thing.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    If you are willing to move away from the main bunch then you might get a much better deal (says the man who has owned three Cervelos).

My TT bike is a Fuji Norcom Straight which I picked up for £800 when it was a year old. Its very still, comfortable and predictable to ride.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Grill
    Norcom Straight is a great bike as long as you can get the right stem.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Grill wrote:
    Norcom Straight is a great bike as long as you can get the right stem.

Indeed. Ideas lucky that I fit the one it came with. However, for sizing / fitting purposes I used Crank Bros Iodine stems as they are cheap and they use a tightening wedge forward of the steerer rather than bolts behind. They should fit any tt bike although it might not be pretty.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • chatlow
    sale fell through as owner wanted to keep it now in case his injury subsides.

Will keep an eye on ebay for any cervelo p2/3 and Giant's too.