Question for GoPro users

cgfw201
cgfw201 Posts: 680
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Quick question for GoPro users.

My Garmin Virb camera died the other day after around 4 years of use. Been great, used mainly as a stills camera with a few videos too.

Eyeing up a GoPro Hero Session 5 to replace it. One concern I have with GoPro is how easy it is to take off it’s mount during a ride and use it as a camera? The Virb has a ‘snap-in’ mount which you can take the camera in and out of during a ride without any issue, however GoPro uses the more finnicky screw in mount, doesn’t it?

Currently if I seen an epic view or thing I want to take a pic of I can whip the Virb off the mount and take a pic in a couple of seconds whilst riding, can you do this with a GoPro?

Does that make sense? My brain is mashed potato today.

Comments

• The session comes in a little box mount which has a lever/clip that fixes it in place. So removing it from the mount couldn't be easier.
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Yes - dead easy. I can have it on the bars recording and have it unclipped and in my hands to record my mates in seconds.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 680
    this is all good news. just need it not be january 2nd and have a bit of cash.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I picked up a Hero5 Session from my local CEX mainly because I bought something else and a refund was given in the form of a credit note. I'm glad I bought it as it's much better than the Virbs I use currently, the Go-Pro app connects to the camera a lot easier and quicker than the Garmin app even at home with my Wi-Fi network. The phone picks up the camera in a few seconds, with Garmin it couldn't find the camera despite being sat next to each other on the desk.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • As mentioned the camera sits in a little cradle that is easy to unclip - quite how easy it is to do while riding is another (unless you stop) it is also quite fiddly to change the camera options from filming to snap shots and the risk of dropping a small cube is quite high. You could WiFi connect it to your phone and take pics direct to your phone if it’s easier . I’ve done this before, using it as a remote recording to my iPhone which saves battery bizarrely over direct recording to a memory card.