Bib shorts

yiannism
yiannism Posts: 345
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Happy new year to all with many healthy cycling km's.

Recently i had my bday and my wife asked me what i want as a present, my 1st reaction was wheels, but it ended something like f$#@ off 8) , so my next choice is bib shorts. I dont want to spend more than 100Eu, i live in a hot country with mild winter. My long Saturday's rides are from 3.5-7 hours, so am looking for something comfortable for that much time. I already own the Bianchi Pusiano, so i am looking something similar or better with out the bianchi logo since i own bikes from other brands too.

A friend told me about Endura FS260 Pro Bib Shorts, and ive seen plenty good reviews for them what do you think about them? i can have them for around 80eu. I can also buy the castelli's on a very good price, but the last one (the cheaper one indeed) lasted only for 1.5 year. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Have a look at La Passione - I have two pairs of the normal summer weight shorts, and they are excellent. Even better prices now in the sale. I have just ordered a pair of thermal bibs for the rest of the winter and spring. The pad is very good, suitable for long rides.

https://www.lapassione.cc/collections/m ... bib-shorts
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I REALLY rate the Enduras - I have 6 pairs!

I am slight in build, and ride a Arione saddle, so went for the XS size, with the narrow pad, and it's really good - they have come up on offer for as little as £40-£50 a pop, which is a proper steal.

My second reccomendation would be La Passione bibshorts, as good, in my experience, as Rapha shorts - the pad is superb, and these can also on occasion be bought for £60, which probably equates to around €61, or will do soon.

EDIT: LOL, LP recommendation written while LL was typing above!
    Think new customers might be able to get a 10% code too?
    EDIT 2: Bl00dy hell, £48 :shock: I may need to order a couple of pairs at that price.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • yiannism
    I am pretty big for a cyclist, 179cm/83kg (maybe more after Xmas) and i am little scared to buy online bib shorts since i cant wear them and see how the fit. For example on my bianchi short L is fine, but on lapasione i need XL (94cm waist), but doesnt fit on my height.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Yiannis, Along with a couple of others here on BR, I'm a big fan of Lusso bib shorts (and tights!) - It's just my opinion but I reckon that they are amongst the best value out there. I''ve got other 'higher end' bibs including Rapha and Assos and, over my usual 4-6 hour rides, I can't find much difference between any of them (and the Lussos are cheaper by far). Search Google UK and you will see that they are quite widely available here and hopefully you will find someone who could ship to you. I have used mine on the hottest days that summer has to offer here in SW England and reckon they would work OK for the Cypriot summer as well. As to sizing, I'm 1.85M / 80Kg /80cm waist and a large is spot on for me.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    YiannisM wrote:
    I am pretty big for a cyclist, 179cm/83kg (maybe more after Xmas) and i am little scared to buy online bib shorts since i cant wear them and see how the fit. For example on my bianchi short L is fine, but on lapasione i need XL (94cm waist), but doesnt fit on my height.

They're lycra Yiannis, there will be a certain amount of give either way. I suspect if you went for XL then the bibs would not be too large around the straps. I too was between sizes, being a shortarse, so went for XS initially given the size guide - and these were okay, but the next pair I got were S, and these were actually better. This is what they say re sizing:

"If you’re not sure about the size send us your measurements: support@lapassione.cc. We will be more than happy to help."
  • I love the Endura, I've got a couple of pairs. I'm similar dimensions to you and I'm pretty sure I have large not XL, but I'll check when I get home.
  • Big fan of the DHB kit available on Wiggle. Way cheaper than stuff like Castelli, and so far as I can see, just as good in terms of quality
  • daniel_b
    YiannisM wrote:

They're lycra Yiannis, there will be a certain amount of give either way. I suspect if you went for XL then the bibs would not be too large around the straps. I too was between sizes, being a shortarse, so went for XS initially given the size guide - and these were okay, but the next pair I got were S, and these were actually better. This is what they say re sizing:

"If you’re not sure about the size send us your measurements: support@lapassione.cc. We will be more than happy to help."

Indeed, think they might even do free returns now as well.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I do love Lusso longs - very happy with them but not tried the shorts.

Not impressed with Castelli - really odd sizes and poor quality control.

DHB would be my favourites - DHB Aeron - all of that kit is excellent - sizing is accurate and a few colour options.
  • yiannism
    After 80km ride all i can say is that endura rocks! So comfortable that i didnt felt that i wear anything, and the pad is really good too.
  • daniel_b
    YiannisM wrote:
    After 80km ride all i can say is that endura rocks! So comfortable that i didnt felt that i wear anything, and the pad is really good too.

Great news :-)

As it happened I did buy a couple of LP shorts, seemed rude not to at £48 each.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18