ultegra r8000 vs sram force22

jacobpeacock
jacobpeacock Posts: 66
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
which is better from the 2? They are booth really nice and i cant decide. Thanks.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Well, if you already tried them and still can't decide, then i'm not sure anything said here is going to help...
  • defycomp2
    defycomp2 Posts: 252
    Either you're a SRAM fan or a Shimano fan... a bit like Man UTD or Man City. Both very good, both with strengths and weaknesses but both different in their approach to doing things. If you go SRAM ou will probably stay SRAM, if you go Shimano you'll probably stay Shimano until you see the light!

Personally I'm a SRAM fan.
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I've had force22 on my best bike for the last 2.5 years and have never needed to do that much adjustment or maintenance to it in all that time. Shifts effortlessly every time.
    Having said that my best bike doesn't get ridden in crap weather, so that helps keep it working better than if I used it in all weathers.
  • pauly69
    pauly69 Posts: 101
    I'm SRAM fan, but not a fanboi ;)

Force22 is quite old now, R8000 is very new so arguably could be expected to have some nice features - I think cable routing is improved for example. The main advantage of R8000 I see is that it allows up to 34 tooth ring at the back I think. If you're a lighter / weaker rider (like me) you might appreciate that.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    DefyComp2 wrote:
    Either you're a SRAM fan or a Shimano fan... a bit like Man UTD or Man City. Both very good, both with strengths and weaknesses but both different in their approach to doing things. If you go SRAM ou will probably stay SRAM, if you go Shimano you'll probably stay Shimano until you see the light!

Personally I'm a SRAM fan.

Surely that analogy would be more suitable for Shimano Dura Ace vs SRAM Rival?
  • brit66
    brit66 Posts: 350
    I've had Force on my bikes for over a decade now and although I do like it, setting up the front changer to work is one of the great mysteries of the universe and I've never been able to get it work reliably, so it always goes into the bike shop for this.

For this reason I prefer using Ultegra, which is like the AK 47 of the bike world — and easy to adjust.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Sram force has been my choice since I ditched Chorus 5ish years ago due to the cost for cassettes and chains and other bits.
    Similar positive shifter action, great hood shape, value, weight, looks, only thing I`m not so keen on is the chain rings (Ultegra is noo looker either although the R8000 is better than 6800) so I have a Red chainset instead.
    What bike is it going on ?
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    I ❤ Sram
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Three bikes two of which have SRAM, I prefer the shifting and hood shape on SRAM.
  • R8000 is much improved aesthetically, and performance in shifting. Also the R8000 brakes aren't much different from DA, the old 6800 brakes were really good. Also, clearance for 28mm tyres. Not sure Force has been updated that recently and is rather agricultural in shifting etc.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • They are both excellent groupsets. Pick the one you like the shift pattern and feel of the most. Both will give you many many miles of trouble free shifting and braking. That said, Ultegra R8000 is the most recently updated groupset so in theory should have the most trickle down tech. The new front mech cable routing is interesting.
  • The new front mech cable routing is interesting.

The front and rear mechs both have 'interesting' cable routing.

As I said above, for me Red & Force brake callipers were tight for 25mm tyres, whereas DA9100 & R8000 easily take 28mms
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles