Components Advice

BenBilly348
BenBilly348 Posts: 9
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Hello,

I'm in the process of fixing up my Triban 3 ready for the new year, but I need some advice. Basically I'm trying to switch from 3x8 to 2x9 because I find triple on the front an absolute nightmare to index. currently my Triban 3 is running a Shimano CS-HG41 8-Speed Cassette, Shimano Sora Front and Rear Derailleurs, Prowheel Ounce Triple Crankset, Square Tapered 115mm Bottom Bracket and Old Style Shimano Triple Shifters. Basically what I want to know is would I be able to leave the current cassette rear derailleur and bottom bracket and just buy a new square tapered crankset, Shimano Sora double shifters and a new Sora double front derailluer? Or are there other items I need to change for example the length of the bottom bracket?

Thanks,

Ben

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,125
    the front fd shouldn't be a problem unless it's damaged or worn out - may simply be that the cable/outer is worn, or the thing needs cleaning and lubrication

if you want to switch from triple to double, you can just get a double crankset and a double fd

the existing shifter will work ok, just set cable tension and fd limit screws so that the shifter big ring position is still the big ring, the middle ring position will be the small ring, as will the unused old small ring position (as the limit screw will stop the fd going any further inboard)

the fd need not be sora, tiagra/105 may be easier to find

this is also the time to fit a new cable+outer

according to https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html for sora it's 110mm bb for 8-speed double

but it'd be better to see which crankset you can get first then look for matching bb, you can use an 8/9/10/11 speed crankset ok, see what's the best deal - if the old 8-speed chain rubs when on the small ring just fit a 9 or 10 speed chain
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Thanks for the advice Sungod, my plan was to get one of these cranksets:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FSA-Crank-2- ... SwhqhaJnxx

As it's cheap and I don't mind the month wait (gives me more time to smash the climbs on my Canyon).