The Definitive Moment of 2017

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,150
edited January 2018 in Pro race
It's Dumoulin having a poo surely.

Any other nominations? If you are a UK cyclist journalist feel free to hype up some junior results from a teenager.
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    It's Froome's test result unfortunately followed by Dumoulin's poo. Not chronologically, although he may have done an excited poo when he heard the news.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Surely Dumoulin was the definitive movement of 2017?

The definitive moment for me was Froome regaining the group on Stage 15 of the Tour, after that chase.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570
    Pistolero.jpg
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Agree with all of those moments mentioned. Mine was López’s attack in the Vuelta on stage 11. The next superstar.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Got to go with Blazing on Froome regaining the group, followed by the moment the salbutamol test became public, those two pretty much sums up the sport in 2017.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Taking too many puffs on an inhaler as the definitive moment of 2017?

Christ guys. Live a little.

Tom taking a public sh!t is definitely it.

The stories get better. Matt White giving sunweb big roll as a joke which was then used by Tom.

Tom announcing that his thought was “how cleanly wiped should I leave it?” at his big Maastricht celebration.

Vuelta / Tour win was possibly one but he lacks the charisma to drive it home.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    I'm not sure if definitive is the right word but yes I think Froome regaining the group and reaffirming his status as almost invulnerable on the road, and subsequently being proven vulnerable off the bike by something as simple as too much salbutamol is more defining of pro cycling 2017 than Dumoulin taking a dump.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • joelsim
    Imagine the facial expressions if it’d been Aru taking a dump.

(Nearly said faecal but managed not to).
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Vuelta Espana 2017 stage 20 when Bertie rode off for his final solo win on the Angliru and Froome broke from the rest of the field with Walt Poels to cover him. We questioned whether Froome would try to take Bertie or let him have his day, which he did with a 16 second gap. Chapeau Bertie but it was the defining moment when Froome showed no matter how much the other GC contenders tried to break him, they couldn't, he was going to win the Vuelta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-2AiG8m4L0&t=957s
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Sagan winning an unprecedented straight 3rd world title, before this year he finally asserts himself as the best rider in the world?
  • rick_chasey
    I did have a moment where I realised I watch a lot less cycling because of Carlton Kirby. Just can’t stand having it on when he’s commentating.

I used to just think it irritated me but I regularly turn it off now.

I guess that’s why I’ve stopped complaining.
  • Guillaume van Keirsbulck launching an attack on stage 4 of the TdF. The perfect example of a flat grand tour stage.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    Had forgotten about Uran winning on a singlespeed
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • joelsim
    Lopez showing he's now a contender, rode everyone off his wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhRF34uf9yg&t=9s

And then again 4 stages later, turbo powered!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDhQaUme_S0
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    inseine wrote:
    Sagan winning an unprecedented straight 3rd world title, before this year he finally asserts himself as the best rider in the world?

I think this has to be it because i don't think any other rider will win 3 consecutive road world titles again.
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    Pistolero.jpg

Yip. Also the photo of 2017 as well. I've been trying to track down who took it. Wouldn't mind a print to add to my collection*.

*Of memorabilia - not Bertie pics.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    I did have a moment where I realised I watch a lot less cycling because of Carlton Kirby. Just can’t stand having it on when he’s commentating.

No you haven’t.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Had forgotten about Uran winning on a singlespeed

Me too! Im getting old
  • rick_chasey
    OCDuPalais wrote:

No you haven’t.

;)
  • Froome's stage 15 chase back was immense but the defining memory for me was of Kwiatkowski going so deep on the Izoard on stage 18 that when his turn was done he had to literally stop pedalling. That sums up the glory and agony of cycling and is something everyone who has ridden a bike can relate to. He was so cooked that he lost 14 minutes in the final 4km.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I would think the definitive moment in any year has to be something that made the general news that becomes known outside of the "cycling nerd circles", and there were four of them this year...

1) British Cycling, sexism and culture
    2) Sky, psuedo-scandal of Wiggins TUEs
    3) Froome doing the Tour+Vuelta double
    4) Froome's salbutamol levels

It is a shame 3 of the above are negative (not in the test sense), but they were newsworthy nevertheless.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Gilbert winning Flanders. massive day. forget all this grand tour rubbish. 1 day is the only way.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    duplicate.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    mfin wrote:
    They were both in 2016.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    RichN95 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    They were both in 2016.

Oh yeah! To be fair the British Cycling thing went on into summer this year, the review findings etc.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    mfin wrote:
    3) Froome doing the Tour+Vuelta double
    4) Froome's salbutamol levels
    Quite Brit centric don't you think? :wink:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    edited January 2018
    Damn
  • FocusZing
    edited January 2018
    Connection
  • FocusZing
    Yeah Sagan getting a turd win. Great race (coverage stopping suspense) and worlds in Bergen. Hu hum, salient moment though:

Chris-Froome-Tour-de-France-Vuelta-a-Espana-Grand-Tour-double-red-jersey-Team-Sky-podium-2017-pic-Sirotti.jpg
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Froome's stage 15 chase back was immense but the defining memory for me was of Kwiatkowski going so deep on the Izoard on stage 18 that when his turn was done he had to literally stop pedalling. That sums up the glory and agony of cycling and is something everyone who has ridden a bike can relate to. He was so cooked that he lost 14 minutes in the final 4km.

This for me, Kwiato throwing his glasses into the ditch halfway up and then having to stop and unclip after his turn was great.