New Ultegra di2

DMHR2018
DMHR2018 Posts: 44
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi Folks,
Would you spend £600 to get the new Ultegra Di2 (disc)?

Choosing between 2 bikes - one 2017 model with the old di2 disc, one 2018 model with the new Ultegra disc di2 groupset. Price difference of £600 and no other appreciable differences between the two models....

Is the new stuff worth it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Depends how deep your pockets are and how much you crave new stuff. I have the "old" Di2 on my Canyon and it's superb. Not sure how the new model be better but hey ho. Mine doesn't have the "secret" shifters and I think the new ones do but other than that can't think of anything.
  • R8000 is a big improvement on the previous generation
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • R8000 is a big improvement on the previous generation

Such as?
  • kofsw4
    kofsw4 Posts: 39
    Biggest difference is the ultegra R8070 shifters Vs ST-R875 that were the non series ones used with 6870 on my recent disc purchase. The new ones are a similar shape to rim brake shifters ie much smaller and about 150g lighter.

A few other small differences such as the new rear derailleur is able to accommodate a wider cassette but not enough to warrant £600 in my opinion...
  • My bike has rim brakes and has a 32 cassette so can't see the benefit. Still waiting for news on the "big improvements".
  • My bike has rim brakes and has a 32 cassette so can't see the benefit. Still waiting for news on the "big improvements".

Yeah, I have rim brakes too, I wish these disc brake bozos would just get back on their mountain bikes and leave us roadies to it.

If they release Di2 7 speed I'll accept there have been "big improvements" ...... until then :|
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......