TRP hy/rd on long descents

fontm0ss
fontm0ss Posts: 31
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Got some spyres on my salsa and they’re fine but Torino-Nice on the cards so thinking about getting something better. Hydros are about £500 and I think I’ll hang fire to eventually go di2 with hydro so looking at hy/rd. Tried them on a friend’s cx bike and pretty impressed but just wondered if anyone had used them on proper hills eg alps etc? If so how’d they get on? If no dramas then I’ll go ahead and get some. Ta!

Comments

• Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Similar topic

viewtopic.php?t=13083731

May have overheating....

Depends on your weight, breaking technique, how long or steep the hills ar,e & pad material, & rotor size I suppose.

Also:

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/produ ... out-310878
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    HyRds have been out for a fair while now and I've never heard any complaints of them overheating or otherwise failing on long descents, although if this is a concern then the simpler spyre might be a safer bet (and properly setup there shouldn't really be any difference in performance!)

While going full hydro is undeniably rather expensive, there are a couple of other halfway house solutions that are arguably better than the hyrds - the Giant Conduct is excellent value although hard to track down, the hope v twin more pricey but a better regarded brand.

Both have longer Hydraulic runs and so are less susceptible to cable stretch/contamination and should be less likely to boil the fluid.
  • Thanks guys!