Calbire bossnut replacement parts

kemics
kemics Posts: 4
edited January 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I had a bad day’s riding yesterday! A stick got picked up by the chain on a climb and snapped my mech hanger AND bent mech cage...I then was cross with my bike so didn’t wash it as punishment for mutiny...and the headset has rusted (although this is probably not new, just only become problematic)

Please don’t judge for go outdoors bike... :D

Was wondering if someone can help advise me with guru knowledge about replacement parts.

The headset is an FSA tapered orbit. As only the bearing race is rusted I thought I would just replace the bearings

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... 4379705462)&ptaid=pla-140442580128&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-MB-SE-Shopping+QLB+Product+Mobile&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7CsRH6v7ylf_dm%7Cpcrid%7C161819865002%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7Cprd%7C484922UK

Are these the right ones for top and bottom of headset?

Rear derailure is listed as a
Shimano Deore 10 speed Shadow Plus...will this be a medium or long cage?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-deore-m ... 1254286622

Ive found this one? Not sure about the m610 ...presumably this is compatible?

And sadly the only mech hanger I can find is £35! Which seems outrageous but the only option.

Would really appreciate a bit of advice to make sure I’m buying the right bits?

Thanks!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bearing won'r fit as it says 1 and 1/8th and you say tapered.

FSA website has a bearing finder tool to get the right codes.

Any Shimano 10 speed mech will work, but without knowing what gearing you have, and what capacity you need, can't say for sure. Capcity is (big ring -small ring)+(big cog-small cog)

CRC have them a bit cheaper, and state capacity as 43, but not whether this is long or medium cage. I assume long, but info is on Shimano site. Medium cage would normally be around 35 or 36.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... 9252756840

You would probably get away with medium, but long would work so safe if you can't check.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thank you so much, Cooldad! Very helpful

so my capacity is 39? (36-22)+(36-11). Presumably I need the mech to have a larger capacity value than my drive system? ... I've found one and the options are 44 for the long cage. Weirdly I cant find the document to state the medium cage length. I'm guessing now.. but 44 is going to be good for 39... or should I see if I can find the medium cage length capacity because it might be be <44 but >39......or am I over thinking this!

I looked at the FSA website. They have a finder tool but it just tells me the headset i need. I looked at the technical drawing for the headset and found the part number for the bearing race but when I google this I just get a bunch of russian websites. Any ideas?

I think I might just take the headset to a bike shop and ask for a replacement!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That’s the capacity you need, yes, and yes the mech must have that or a greater capacity.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Are there top and bottom cups pressed into the head tube as you might be able to get away with fitting compatible cartridge bearings which will last longer and not rust if you buy stainless steel ones.

If your not sure, take to a bike shop and get an upgraded headset fitted with better bearings and seals will be worth it in the long run.

with the weather we have in the uk, I've pretty much upgraded all bearings on my bikes to sealed cartridge and not had any problem so far.