Recommend me some wheels

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited February 2018 in Workshop
I need some new wheels for my Boardman Hybrid Pro. It came with Shimano RX05 wheels which I was happy enough with. Both of them were damaged in an accident. The front one is quite badly warped.

The wheels need to be disc-brake compatible, 700c size, fairly robust with a minimum of 28 spokes front and rear. I generally use 28mm wide tyres.

I'm currently running 10spd gearing but there is only a washers difference between 10 & 11spd anyway, isn't there?

I'm looking in the £200 ball-park.

Recommend away!

Thanks.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Buy some more rx05 then. It is just possible to build them for £200 with ryde rival 23 rims shimano rs505 rims and silver spokes. That would be heavy though the rims weigh 580g each.

To build them you need rims in the £20 to £25 range

Mavic askium disc might be on budget.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cycleclinic
    The freehub bodies in those wheels are terrible. They wear out quickly for too many. A bad buy. They wheel should be withdrawn from sale in my book.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mavic Aksium Disc ??

Seem pretty good and decent price at the moment
  • curium
    The Rookie wrote:

Somebody has already raised this but: I've heard that Fulcrum hubs are terrible. These wheels will need to be durable as they are for my rain/winter weather bike.

Also they don't state the spoke count - I want 28 spoke minimum. They illustrations looks fairly low spoke count to me.

I think I'll pass.

Thanks
  • curium
    Mavic Aksium Disc ??

Seem pretty good and decent price at the moment

Apparently Mavic spares are expensive and/or hard to come by. Is this true?

It's one of the reasons why I'm leaning towards a build around a shimano hub.

If I was to go this route, could anyone recommend a 135mm shimano rear-hub that accepts discs? I would then pair that with a H Plus Son Archetype Road Rim from Wiggle for £60 and then find somebody competent to assemble it all for me.

Thanks
  • cycleclinic
    Pair with a kinlin xr 22rts rim in 32h drilling. £40 for this rim.
    It is tubeless compatible asymmetric disc brake rim that's cheaper than the archetype. Ryde do rims that are cheaper still.

The dt swiss r460 is also fairly cheap. £30to £40 for this rim.

The archteype is more expensive and not tubeless compatible which is limiting. Why spend more and not get more.

Shimano rs505 hubs is what you need.

Also if you are not building yourself let the builder supply the rims. If you supply rims you are normally charged more for labour and since the archetype goes for £60 in most shops why buy your own bits. You wont save money that way. You'll spend more for sure. A shop built set is going to cost more than £200 though. If you spend less corners are being cut somewhere.

I fact have you read my posts in this thread as I commented on the fulcrum hubs and what hubs to use for a shop built set already.
  • curium
    Pair with a kinlin xr 22rts rim in 32h drilling. £40 for this rim.
    It is tubeless compatible asymmetric disc brake rim that's cheaper than the archetype. Ryde do rims that are cheaper still.

The dt swiss r460 is also fairly cheap. £30to £40 for this rim.

The archteype is more expensive and not tubeless compatible which is limiting. Why spend more and not get more.

Shimano rs505 hubs is what you need.

Also if you are not building yourself let the builder supply the rims. If you supply rims you are normally charged more for labour and since the archetype goes for £60 in most shops why buy your own bits. You wont save money that way. You'll spend more for sure. A shop built set is going to cost more than £200 though. If you spend less corners are being cut somewhere.

I fact have you read my posts in this thread as I commented on the fulcrum hubs and what hubs to use for a shop built set already.

I did indeed read your post. The RX05 do not appear to be in stock anywhere I'm aware of.

I'm really just looking for more options but it may be that there just aren't at the price point I've listed.

I've got a pair of archetype wheels on my road bike so I mentioned it mainly because I like them and I'm not familiar with the others you mention. I'd have bought a full Shimano wheels if the option was available but the big sheds seem to be stocking Mavic, Archetype and Easton as rims I've heard of. I've had Easton before and they were fragile (low spoke count). I've ridden with people who've had bad experiences with Mavic and Fulcrum wheels.

I've heard of dtswiss but the rim you mention is not on Wiggle. Where do Kinlin and Ryde fall in the range? I don't think I particularly want to move to tubeless as it seems a bit hit and miss whether different tyres will work with different rims at the moment.
    Could you tell me what the difference is between the RS 505CL rear hub and the Deore M6000 as they seemed to be priced similarly?
    After a bit of trawling, I think the difference is that the Deore hub is 10 speed while the 505 is 11 spd, correct?
    Also, could somebody link me to some info on the advantages/disadvantages of symmetric/asymmetric rims?
    Some more trawling tells me that asymmetric rims allow for lower spoke tension (is this good?) but make truing the wheel harder.

Thanks
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    curium wrote:
    Also, could somebody link me to some info on the advantages/disadvantages of symmetric/asymmetric rims?
    Some more trawling tells me that asymmetric rims allow for lower spoke tension (is this good?) but make truing the wheel harder.

Thanks

Nope , an asymmetric rims allow less spoke dish and more balanced spoke tension left/ right and probably a more durable wheel.
    I can't see any disadvantage , price is in general a bit higher (special extrusion required)
  • curium
    Just an update.

I upped my budget to £270 and got a pair of archetype 32H hard-anodised on 505 hubs, competition spokes and pro lock nipples.

The amazing thing is that they are 50g lighter than the 28H RX05s they're replacing despite having an extra 4 spokes!
  • cycleclinic
    Even thought you have bought wheels now the kinlin rims are on of the best rims on the market. Nice and round, flat and consistant from rim to rim. Robust too and tubeless compatible as well which the archetype is not. cheaper as well so all round a better buy.