Campagnolo Centaur - rear derailleur

battaglin
battaglin Posts: 36
edited January 2018 in Workshop
I have recently fitted the new 11speed Centaur groupset. On the rear derailleur, I have found the limit screws and the b screw. I indexed the gears and they all work fine with no skips or jumps. There is however some noise that I'm not completely happy with.

In short, can anyone tell me what the screw in this pic (the middle image of the 3) is for please?, next to where the derailleur fits to the frame. I can't find any info in the instruction manual or online.

https://www.campagnolo.com/UK/en/Compon ... derailleur

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    It positions the top jockey wheel closer to the cassette, or moves it away if the jockey wheel is too close.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    It positions the top jockey wheel closer to the cassette, or moves it away if the jockey wheel is too close.

It doesn't appear to...the 'b screw' adjuster is round the other side, underneath.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    battaglin wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

It doesn't appear to...the 'b screw' adjuster is round the other side, underneath.
    Edit:- To give the spring tension when the cable is loose in a small cog?
    Fine tuning where it buts up against the hanger? Just guessing as it is completely different from any other Campanolo derailleur that I have ever seen.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    battaglin wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

Edit:- To give the spring tension when the cable is loose in a small cog?
    Fine tuning where it buts up against the hanger? Just guessing as it is completely different from any other Campanolo derailleur that I have ever seen.

Thanks for the guessing, it's more than I can think of at the mo that's for sure.

It's completely different to any Campag derailleur that I've seen too. I certainly wasn't expecting a 4th screw to be there!

What's worse is that what I think is the b screw doesn't move the jockey wheel much anyway, and this unidentified screw doesn't appear to move it at all.

All is shifting sweetly but there's a noise, especially when in the big front ring, through all the gears. It's a bit like a sort of tinkling sound, rather than the 'chatter' you get when the indexing isn't quite right. The front mech isn't rubbing anywhere either. Only one decent length ride on it so far, so maybe it will bed down in time or I'll discover exactly what's going on.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Are you using a centaur cassette as that Rd only works with small range of ratios
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Are you using a centaur cassette as that Rd only works with small range of ratios

Yep, 11 speed Centaur, 11-29.

There is only one size derailleur in the new 11 speed Centaur range. No short, medium or long cage to worry about, and the cassettes go from 11-25 right up to 11-32. That was part of the attraction for me of this new groupset.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have not had the chance to play with centaur yet. Drop me an email I can try to find the answer I am curious.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I have not had the chance to play with centaur yet. Drop me an email I can try to find the answer I am curious.

This new 11 speed Centaur only got its press releases in May. Probably most people riding it won't have got it until this Autumn. It doesn't appear to be a popular choice when I was searching around to buy mine.

If you can find an answer then it would be nice if you could post it here for others to see.

The old 10 speed Centaur rear derailleur never had this 4th screw, so I'm still at a loss as to what it is for.