Bike transport

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Having bought a new (er) car , i have been given notice from the love of my life , that I cannot throw the bike in the back of the car like I used to in our 160000 mile Ford focus.
I read somewhere about bike bags on this forum and have seen a Raleigh one on the Merlin website.
What is the Craig with bike bags , how do you go about packing your bike ?
I sometimes ride out for a couple of hours and get picked up, is packing a bag worth the effort?
Regards
Ilg

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I've got a Planet X padded bag similar to the Raleigh one on sale at Merlin. I initially bought it around 10 years ago to fly to Italy for the Maratona. Never flown with it since but I find it really handy for protecting my expensive carbon best bike and keeping vehicle interior clean. It fits flat horizontally in the back of a hatchback and vertically sideways in the boot area of my camper van and then upright between the front seats when I fold the bed down at night. You take both wheels off, place them in internal sleeves, turn the bars to one side and drop the bike frame inside the bag upside down. Just takes seconds. So much neater than putting a bike frame and wheels loose inside a vehicle.

You couldn't carry it with you. But it packs down small enough to fit in the boot of a small car. If it's just for protecting the interior of your new car, it may be worth considering an unpadded bag, effectively just a zipped nylon cover. But that padded bag at Merlin is a bargain.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's a bit of a faff. Personally I'd rather ride home.

What car is it ? Blanket in the boot and seats down and lob the bike in ?
  • cougie wrote:
    It's a bit of a faff. Personally I'd rather ride home.

What car is it ? Blanket in the boot and seats down and lob the bike in ?
    Honda civic , the Craic is ride to say Scarborough have a shower at sports centre day out, meal shopping etc .
    Newish car , just don't want oil scrapes of pedals chainset etc to ring it.
    I know it will get wrecked eventually, but not just now!
    Regards
    Ilg
  • Mercia Man wrote:
    I've got a Planet X padded bag similar to the Raleigh one on sale at Merlin. I initially bought it around 10 years ago to fly to Italy for the Maratona. Never flown with it since but I find it really handy for protecting my expensive carbon best bike and keeping vehicle interior clean. It fits flat horizontally in the back of a hatchback and vertically sideways in the boot area of my camper van and then upright between the front seats when I fold the bed down at night. You take both wheels off, place them in internal sleeves, turn the bars to one side and drop the bike frame inside the bag upside down. Just takes seconds. So much neater than putting a bike frame and wheels loose inside a vehicle.

You couldn't carry it with you. But it packs down small enough to fit in the boot of a small car. If it's just for protecting the interior of your new car, it may be worth considering an unpadded bag, effectively just a zipped nylon cover. But that padded bag at Merlin is a bargain.
    Seems like a good idea , can I keep the pedals on ?
    Regards
    Ilg
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Yes you can keep pedals on and no need to drop seatpost.
  • Mercia Man wrote:
    Yes you can keep pedals on and no need to drop seatpost.
    That's great , going to order the Raleigh now ,thanks.
    Ilg
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Get a cheap duvet and al bag for the front wheel. If you have 2 bikes in just use the duvet between them and put the wheels on top in bags.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago