Steel Frame-What ferrule do I need? Help!

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi I am almost done building my Steel De Rosa but I am stuck knowing how to configure the gear cable feeding the rear derailleur. The cable guide that is welded to the underside of the chain stay does not take a standard gear ferrule nor does the brake cable pass through the mount. I have attached some photos and hope someone can help!
bPP82Na.jpg

Fts1lEj.jpg

bPP82Na.jpg

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    edited December 2017
    Oops!
    See below.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    You will need the older type thats got a tapered narrower section that fits into the cable guide from the derailleur side. They used to be supplied with new Campag cablesets. I may have one in the bits tin if you cant get hold of one pm me.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    PBlakeney wrote:
    A bare brake cable should go through with a sleeve and a standard brake cable ferrule at either end between the brakes and the lug. As shown below. I'd have hoped.
    1k0.jpg

Edit:- I was replying to the first photo only, silly bugger that I am.
    As kirkee says, a stepped ferrule for the derailleur cable. My last Athena set came with one, and a rubber expanding gator to be used between the cable stop and the clamped cable. Which I have not used, obviously.

1k0.jpg
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bmxboy10
    Cheers I got the rubber gaitor thing but no stepped ferrule - ill see what I can find on line.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Checked, I've got three of the old steel frame type ferules in my parts this tin, happy to send you one Im in no rush to rebuild my old columbus frame anytime soon!
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • bmxboy10
    kirkee wrote:
    Checked, I've got three of the old steel frame type ferules in my parts this tin, happy to send you one Im in no rush to rebuild my old columbus frame anytime soon!

Aaaah just ordered some from SJS for a couple of quid! Thanks anyway and if for some reason they don't arrive ill take you up on that very kind offer Kirkee.

Cheers again.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I had the same problem on Dirk - SJS as you've done or get an old frame from a skip and cannibalise.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.