BMC Teammachine - sizing help?

TriHarri
TriHarri Posts: 7
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi there bike gurus,

I'm looking to upgrade to a BMC Teammachine (likely the ALR01 unless an SLR03 comes up at a decent price). Everyone agrees that top tube length is the most important aspect of the fit, and the rumour is that BMC runs larger than other makes. My current bike (comfy vintage Peugeot) has a top tube of 57cm, but the BMC 57 only has 56cm and the 54 is even shorter at 54.6cm. I've never felt stretched on it but maybe I am and just don't realise - I tend to ride on the hoods.

I'm 5ft 10 with a 34 inch (86cm) inseam, medium length torso, and longish arms (armspan is exactly equal to height). Current bikes are all 56cm seat tubes with horizontal top tubes.

I'm going to try and get a test ride on one, but should I be seeking a size 54 or size 57 do yous think?

Cheers,
Harri

Comments

• I wouldn't focus too much on tt, a lot of people (myself included) use stack and reach as the more important measurements. I wouldn't say bmc run larger than other brands, like all of them the geometry just differs slightly. Anyway, based on your height/inseam and your current bike my guess is you would be a 57 in bmc. I had one previously (not the model you are after though), I rode a 51 and am 5 inches shorter than you, I reckon a 54 would be too small for you. As you have said though get a test ride if possible.
  • Thank you Grimpeur, that's very helpful! I've been told I'm a 56 or 57 in specialized allez by LBS so was wary of going much smaller
  • Update for anyone else looking: on advice of two separate Evans shops got the 54. They both took one look at me and said no way I'd be comfy on a 57 - I think as it's quite a long bike and all my height is in my legs (I actually have a normal/short torso and normal ish arms), but the seatpost on the 54 easily goes up enough to fit me in. Tried the 54 and it just felt right - bought it on the spot! Love it already!!
  • naavt
    naavt Posts: 226
    TriHarri wrote:

Everyone agrees that top tube length is the most important aspect of the fit

Who’s everyone? I can’t see ANY decent bike fitter relying on top tube length to fit a bike. If you are after a proper fit you have to rely on Reach and Stack. Not top tube length.