Dolan Etape, Planet X or Ribble's carbon offerings

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
3 options I'm looking at for the new season
Ribble Evo Pro with 105 5800 climbers group,Planet X Pro Carbon SRAM rival 11 climbers group OR Planet X RT-80 SRAM rival 11 climbers group or Dolan Etape 105

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Planet X deliver through Yodel. Having ordered a frame from them on 12th December I had hoped it would be with me by now, Yodel are unable to inform me of its location since it arrived in their DC (5 miles from me) on 13th and are unable to update PlanetX either. Based on this I'd opt for the Ribble in the hope they don't use Yodel.
  • rob39
    Hope your frame turns up soon. I'm liking the Pro Carbon in Orange
  • Both the PX Pro and Ribble Evo Pro are excellent frames for the money, be aware though that they are both older tech designs now as far as carbon offerings go and have been around a while. Apparently both can be a little flexy if you're a heavier or more powerful rider too.

Big difference in shift/feel between the Shimano and SRAM groupsets. Have you tried both?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Had mine years now and ride it as much as if not more than the Canyon CF SL. I am not a big powerful rider more a mountain goat size so the flex issue is none existent, a friend of mine who is a big powerful rider and weighs in at 90kg also has one and has no issues with flex.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Planet X deliver through Yodel. Having ordered a frame from them on 12th December I had hoped it would be with me by now, Yodel are unable to inform me of its location since it arrived in their DC (5 miles from me) on 13th and are unable to update PlanetX either. Based on this I'd opt for the Ribble in the hope they don't use Yodel.

Seriously? You’ll buy a bike based on who delivers it?

Random.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Bought a Pro Carbon frame a couple of years back and built it up with 5800. Have had 2 years of untroubled riding. Yes the frame design might be regarded as somewhat dated but I rate it for the standard threaded BSA bottom bracket so no issues with creaking experienced by certain push fit BB designs.

The frame will also take 25mm tyres with ease - in fact I have been running 28mm Michelin Pro4 Endurance on H Plus Son rims for the past 18 months without any problems although some might regard the clearances as a bit tight.

Can't comment on the Ribble but I'm sure you'll be fine with any of the one's you've listed. Go for the orange Pro Carbon if that grabs you more than the others
  • rob39
    The evo is supposedtobeafresh design for 2017, but new tech doesn't worry me at my age and the legs are getting tired and the hills longer. Thats why I'vechosen the companies with the bike builder, I can get a climbers group with these. The Dolan gets good reviews though, and Ive had ribble in the past and love what ive had but not had carbon
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    R
    Gethinceri wrote:

Random.
    Why's that a problem?
    It's not random, it's a perfectly sound reason.
    PlanetX and Yodel have been dreadful i resolving my issue so I'll be avoiding them in future.
    Last year I bought wheels from CRC and a bin was delivered by DPD instead, the issue was resolved within 24 hours, I subsequently ordered more stuff from them.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The RT-80 is much better than the Pro-carbon - well worth the extra
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Gethinceri wrote:
    R
    Gethinceri wrote:

Random.
    Why's that a problem?
    It's not random, it's a perfectly sound reason.
    PlanetX and Yodel have been dreadful i resolving my issue so I'll be avoiding them in future.
    Last year I bought wheels from CRC and a bin was delivered by DPD instead, the issue was resolved within 24 hours, I subsequently ordered more stuff from them.

So you won't buy a bike because of a delivery service? Seriously random dude. Its like saying I won't wear contact lenses any more because Royal Mail lost my package once.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rob39
    Svetty wrote:
    The RT-80 is much better than the Pro-carbon - well worth the extra
    The RT 80 is actually coming out cheaper than the pro carbon and same carbon as the Dolan etape
    Though Ribble's 6 years warranty seems to be swinging it just