Winter Gloves.. is it possible to have toasty fingers

2»

Comments

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I bought some Kalf zero degree gloves last night and tried them this morning. Have to say I’m impressed. A bit cold on the fingertips occasionally but nothing that (a) was uncomfortable or (b) not fixable with some liner gloves. Average temperature was -1
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    johngti wrote:
    I bought some Kalf zero degree gloves last night and tried them this morning. Have to say I’m impressed. A bit cold on the fingertips occasionally but nothing that (a) was uncomfortable or (b) not fixable with some liner gloves. Average temperature was -1

They are very good. It proves there’s no such thing as the ‘wrong weather’ just the wrong kit.
  • Svetty wrote:
    Any colder and it's full skiing gloves and clumsy shifting......

Ditch the eTap
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I dont cover my face at all even when it minus minus. I stay warm though. Tody I had fleece lined tights, merino wool socks, shoes and overshoes and on my upper half long sleeve vase layer (northward), a short sleeve Jersey and a roubaix top. I wore northwards artic gloves. My ride was at 15.6 mph average due to the wind. I stayed warm even though it was only 1 c all day.

Work hard enough to stay warm. That's the trick.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I have a pair of these (https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... e-EV159625) and (https://www.roostersailing.com/pd/PolyP ... 105313.htm)

That i recently wore in -20 C in the Atlas mountains without issue, I was on the verge of being too cold but not so bad and I didn't even have the Specialized 'Removable core' in. I find those liners absolutely brilliant and I don't think I've had cold hands while wearing them, I just change to a slightly thicker outer glove if the temp drops. Rooster also do some 'thermal reflection' ones or similar which are supposedly even warmer!

For most of my riding at the moment 2-6 degrees I am wearing these (https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCARULWB ... ock-gloves) and the liners but often find my hands are too hot if anything.

Edit: I have pretty bad circulation and often find myself wearing gloves in the office while typing.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Aldi has merino glove liners on specialbuy (£5.99) from tomorrow in the UK if of use to anyone....
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803

What size are your Estremos GrenW?

Small
  • I surf as well as cycle(hence username), and was wondering about using a pair of neoprene surfing gloves to ride in. I cycled the other day when it was around -2C and the rest of me was fine but my fingers got so cold I was feeling sick. So, anyone here tried neoprene gloves? I'll only be going out if dry anyway but was thinking if the gloves keep my hands warm in water at this time of year then got to be OK for cycling. I have heard though that hands get wet and sweaty which is uncomfortable and then gloves stink but a wash would sort that out.
  • My fingers get cold easily, and I am a canoeist as well as a cyclist. I suspect that neoprene gloves won't be too successful. I tried neoprene gloves for my top hand for canoeing and I found that my hand got painfully cold when the air temperature was below freezing. Also when I started canoeing I was using a wetsuit in winter and I found that I would get very cold on long trips. I don't think that neoprene is that good a material for keeping you warm if you aren't immersed in water, these days I use fleece base layers and a waterproof jacket for canoeing with much better results. I think you need a windproof outer layer and enough insulation to cope with the conditions, obviously the colder it is the thicker the insulation.

I recently bought a pair of Trekmates Chamonix gloves on impulse as they were in the bargain bin by the tills at Go Outdoors, and although they are designed for walking or skiing rather than cycling they have been very good. The have a Goretex outer layer and a fleece lining. I used them last weekend in the Peak District when the temperature was 0C with a stiff easterly head wind and my hands stayed comfortably warm, despite my toes and other delicate regions getting uncomfortably cold.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I agree i don't think neoprene is particularly good at insulating when dry (at least, not as good as other materials).

Another important thing to remember (not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs) is gloves will only insulate, not produce heat. So put your gloves on inside while your hands are warm and don't take them off. Maybe heat the gloves up on the radiator for 10mins before going out too.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I surf as well as cycle(hence username), and was wondering about using a pair of neoprene surfing gloves to ride in. I cycled the other day when it was around -2C and the rest of me was fine but my fingers got so cold I was feeling sick. So, anyone here tried neoprene gloves? I'll only be going out if dry anyway but was thinking if the gloves keep my hands warm in water at this time of year then got to be OK for cycling. I have heard though that hands get wet and sweaty which is uncomfortable and then gloves stink but a wash would sort that out.

I thought you didnt like cycling in uncomfortable weather SC ? ;-)

Noprene is OK for wet rides but it's not the best for cold rides.

Try something more suited like lobster gloves if it's really cold. Surface area to volume ratio is lower so the fingers stay a lot warmer. Planet X have some good ones.
  • Fenix wrote:
    I surf as well as cycle(hence username), and was wondering about using a pair of neoprene surfing gloves to ride in. I cycled the other day when it was around -2C and the rest of me was fine but my fingers got so cold I was feeling sick. So, anyone here tried neoprene gloves? I'll only be going out if dry anyway but was thinking if the gloves keep my hands warm in water at this time of year then got to be OK for cycling. I have heard though that hands get wet and sweaty which is uncomfortable and then gloves stink but a wash would sort that out.

I thought you didnt like cycling in uncomfortable weather SC ? ;-)

Noprene is OK for wet rides but it's not the best for cold rides.

Try something more suited like lobster gloves if it's really cold. Surface area to volume ratio is lower so the fingers stay a lot warmer. Planet X have some good ones.

I don't ride in rain or howling gales but cold weather not a problem (unless ice everywhere). I have Di2 so lobster style gloves not be great I reckon.
  • jp4urio
    jp4urio Posts: 16
    Cannot recommend the Castelli Estremo's enough.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-estrem ... ng-gloves/

I commute in all weather including snow, and did a 100 miles sportive in Lands End at the tail of last year in constant rain all day, my fingers were never anything but toasty.

They're also stitched with drop bars in mind, so they are naturally sort of 'clawed' when you put them on. Makes a difference to the comfort, nothing bunches up anywhere. They feel well designed, well made and durable.

Its subjective to some level due to us all having different circulation characteristics, but I've tried a few pairs of mitts and these are faultless.
  • joey54321 wrote:
    I agree i don't think neoprene is particularly good at insulating when dry (at least, not as good as other materials).

Another important thing to remember (not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs) is gloves will only insulate, not produce heat. So put your gloves on inside while your hands are warm and don't take them off. Maybe heat the gloves up on the radiator for 10mins before going out too.

This has somehow worked for me .. I bought merino liners and made sure to put it on before I left the house and making sure never to remove once outside ..
  • I used neoprene gloves for a couple of years and they did keep my hands warm. However, they don't breathe to well so get sweaty and then this makes the finger tips go cold. Also, they stink!
    I now use a pair of winter-ish gloves from decathlon, they breathe, keep my fingers warm, and have a reasonable length collar, THIS is the important bit as it keeps the wrists warm so blood keeps flowing to the fingers.
  • the_rover
    the_rover Posts: 402
    Learnt two things on a chilly ride yesterday. My Pearl Izumi lobster gloves are nearly as warm as my seal skin winter gloves and giving the one finger salute in the lobsters is pointless as it looks like your just waving!
  • milemuncher1
    The Rover wrote:
    Learnt two things on a chilly ride yesterday. My Pearl Izumi lobster gloves are nearly as warm as my seal skin winter gloves and giving the one finger salute in the lobsters is pointless as it looks like your just waving!

I like Pearl Izumi kit, it helps that there’s an outlet store near me. Your right about ‘signalling’ in Lobsters / Mittens as well. You need to give a proper Ja Voll, or it looks like you’re saying hello.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,622
    The Rover wrote:

I like Pearl Izumi kit, it helps that there’s an outlet store near me. Your right about ‘signalling’ in Lobsters / Mittens as well. You need to give a proper Ja Voll, or it looks like you’re saying hello.

Don't you mean "live long and prosper"
  • milemuncher1
    MrB123 wrote:
    The Rover wrote:

Don't you mean "live long and prosper"

That’s one interpretation, yes :lol:
  • De Sisti wrote:
    TriHarri wrote:
    I have some btwin gloves that cost about 20 quid from decathlon ........... They're pretty waterproof and I've used them down to -20C!
    Cycling in the UK? :wink: The UK very rarely has seen those sort of temperatures.

I use them in the UK now but they were baptised cycling across Peru and Bolivia in winter! Used them for trekking in the mountains for a few weeks there as well :) that was a very dry cold though - Glasgow is usually damper and much harder to stay warm :(
  • Make sure whatever you buy doesn't have a 'separate' glove inner, mine were perfectly warm but the inner stitching which held it in place, within the glove, broke on both, now if i take the gloves off with sweaty/clammy hands its impossible to put my hands back in - absolute nightmare.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    The new Assos Bonka S7 gloves /EndThread

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Assos/ ... loves/GEYU

Literally the best piece of kit I’ve bought in recent years.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Ryan_W wrote:

95 quid for a pair of gloves :shock:

I'm assuming that's for a pair? :D

Probably best not to end the thread just yet............
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Today's ride was cold (under two degrees) and wet. I wore a thin pair of spring/autumn gloves and yet my hands stayed a comfortable temperature. Because I was using bar mitts. Some days it's worth giving up the ability to ride in the drops in return for being able to feel the brake levers just fine :)
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Ryan_W wrote:

I'd rather buy a quality pair that work well and last years than a cheaper option that doesn't keep my hands warm and falls apart early.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Svetty wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:

I'd rather buy a quality pair that work well and last years than a cheaper option that doesn't keep my hands warm and falls apart early.

I'd rather buy a cheaper option that doesn't fall apart and keeps my hands warm. Which is what I did several years ago and I refer you to my original reply on page one.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Today Suffolk punch ride started of at -2 when I left home and warmed to 2 degrees. My hand in the northwave artic gloves were fine. Neoprene gloves are crap in the cold. Below 5 degrees they are useless. I would rather ride with bare hands at 5 degrees as I would have warmer hands.

Fingerless muts the the northwave gloves are a good combo too. I have a set of lobster gloves and they are a bit warmer but changing gear is difficult. Better for single speed bikes.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Assos Bonkas worked flawlessly well on a 3 hour ride which dropped to -3° yesterday.

People say £95 is crazy for a pair of gloves, but I’m not regretting it one bit!
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/gl ... 2-0-gloves

£25 from Wheelbase Darlington .
    Best I have had , and I have used a few.
    regards
    ILG