Will an SRAM X7 fit a Hope 32t Front Ring?

furious_george
furious_george Posts: 13
edited December 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought a second hand Trek Superfly 9.6 which has been converted from a 2x10 to a 1x10. The front rings have been changed to a single Hope 32t, originally I believe it was a 36/22t configuration. I was given the original small 22t ring with the bike, but not the large 36t one. I was hoping to switch it back to a 2x10 but there is no front derailleur. My question is, If I were to buy a new front derailleur (an SRAM X7), will it fit the new 32/22t configuration with the Hope 32t as the big ring? I don't see any reason why it shouldn't, but I'm not an expert on these things...

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Will it fit, yes, will it work, no.

A single speed ring will have longer teeth, may be a narrow wide as well, that will make it very hard for the derailleur to drag the chain off onto the lower gear, in addition it won’t have Ramps and pins so shifting up won’t be great, and if it’s a narrow wide you won’t be able to guarantee the chain will line up (wide to wide, narrow to narrow) when you shift.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Will it fit, yes, will it work, no.

A single speed ring will have longer teeth, may be a narrow wide as well, that will make it very hard for the derailleur to drag the chain off onto the lower gear, in addition it won’t have Ramps and pins so shifting up won’t be great, and if it’s a narrow wide you won’t be able to guarantee the chain will line up (wide to wide, narrow to narrow) when you shift.

Okay, thanks for the info. I guess I need to find another large chainring that will do the job. Currently looking for the original large ring from the FSA F2000 crankset, seems very hard to come by. Is there anything else that will do the job, or is it a more specific part?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looks like a standard 4 bolt 104 BCD chainring, in which case most 104 BCD will fit no issue, occasionally the location tabs need some small fettling but that is pretty rare.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Looks like a standard 4 bolt 104 BCD chainring, in which case most 104 BCD will fit no issue, occasionally the location tabs need some small fettling but that is pretty rare.

Okay, I'll have a look at some of those. Thanks for your help!