Shimano CM-2000: anyone got it to work?

EBEB
EBEB Posts: 98
edited January 2018 in Road general
Anyone who has a Shimano Action Camera will know how rubbish the instructions are and there is no customer support from Shimano. The Shimano CM-2000 can be triggered by ANT+ devices (in theory) - has anyone got it to work?

I have Ant+ devices connected, Ant+ triggering on (HR, Speed and power as ‘or’) and Bluetooth is connected (iPhone 6s), but can’t get it to work. It did work once but I have zero idea what I did differently. I’ve tried every button, including those in the app.

Has anyone stumbled on the magic? Maybe I’ve got a duff device and everyone else’s works as advertised? I’ve literally given up on finding out myself now. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Mine worked when I tried it but not tried again yet as it was an Xmas pressie. Is this why they were so cheap?
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Mine synced with the smartphone app 1st time, but haven't tried the linking of sensors yet.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • bmxboy10
    solboy10 wrote:
    Mine worked when I tried it but not tried again yet as it was an Xmas pressie. Is this why they were so cheap?
    Not using mine with sensors
  • EBEB
    Hi, thanks for replying.

Mine links to sensors fine and if you move the video to the phone it actually shows them when you press play. Same with the GPS. I don’t think that is explained in the manual.

The advertising says you can remove the boring bits from rides and get it to only record when you are going fast etc. I just can’t get it to work. I haven’t tried the GPS trigger as it looks too long winded.

The normal videos are good. Motion stabilisation is good. I have no problems with manually clicking start. You can even click start in the app remotely (More a MTB doing jumps thing I guess)

The changeable battery sounds like a great idea except you can’t buy a second battery anywhere. Maybe if you asked a shop to order one…

It doesn’t like cheap SD cards even if they are supposedly class 10.

I did once get it to work, but have no idea what I did differently. This is why I hoped someone had stumbled upon the trick.
  • Got mine to work, as you say instructions are poor. I've only used mine on a quick test run and found the picture quality excellent with no picture distortion.
    Only downside is that you have to reconnect to wi-fi everytime you turn it back on and want to view footage apart from that i'm really pleased with the camera.
    I intend to use it with sensors but haven't got this far with it yet.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Works fine for me too. Go to settings on the smartphone app and you can set the Ant+ sensor trigger parameters for the auto-recording...

Mind you, loading the Shimano Camera Editor software n to my low-spec laptop was a PITA. Got it working now though.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • EBEB
    @luvtoride

I can set the trigger parameters in the app fine; it just doesn’t do anything - does yours actually start when you go over the threshold? I have confirmed Bluetooth connection and normal videos record sensor data, but nothing. I’ve tried just one sensor triggering and varying the ‘and’ vs ‘or’ button. With just one sensor I’ve tried it with just a bog-standard speed and cadence sensor.

There are free alternatives to the Shimano software that can add sensor data. I haven’t recorded anything interesting yet so haven’t done it. I haven’t tested the new Shimano software yet but ‘Dashware’ was much better than the old one. It isn’t just cycling (drones and stuff) and I think it is owned by GoPro, but it is free and the Shimano data is only in a very simple .csv file.
  • Luv2ride wrote:
    Works fine for me too. Go to settings on the smartphone app and you can set the Ant+ sensor trigger parameters for the auto-recording...

Mind you, loading the Shimano Camera Editor software n to my low-spec laptop was a PITA. Got it working now though.

Not yet had the chance to play with this, but I shall probably use the Garmin Virb Edit software. Hardware spec doesn't seem quite as demanding (but almost all is a resource drain that needs a fair bit of grunt). Also the data overlays seem a lot more flexible.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • EBEB
    Unfortunately this wasn’t working yesterday when I had a driver threaten: “I’m going to hunt you down’ and call me a “pussy” for not immediately cutting across two busy lanes of 30mph traffic at the end of a bus lane. Fortunately I have a reserve camera in a rear bike light that has his face, his number plate and full audio (and him driving in a bus lane). Helpfully he got out of the car to stand in my face and threaten me.

I think we know how unseriously the met police take driving offences, but has anyone any experience with how they deal with threats? I’m an easy target on a bike, as the bike is very distinctive and obviously the only protection I have is a helmet.

Do you think it is worth me sending to the police? At the very least I think I will send it to my sister in case he carries out his threat.
  • Not much point in a camera if you don't take that footage to the cops.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • EBEB
    Agreed, but just wondering about the threshold the police will have for doing something.

This is a new area to me. Personally I think if someone drives so badly it endangers someone’s life they should do something, but realistically they don’t. Here we have someone so irate he jamp out of his car and threatened me. Will they actually do something or will I just be wasting my time…

An alternative tack would be to try and find out who he is and who he works for. I am pretty sure his employer wouldn’t want someone that aggressive working for them.
  • bmxboy10
    EBEB wrote:
    Agreed, but just wondering about the threshold the police will have for doing something.

This is a new area to me. Personally I think if someone drives so badly it endangers someone’s life they should do something, but realistically they don’t. Here we have someone so irate he jamp out of his car and threatened me. Will they actually do something or will I just be wasting my time…

An alternative tack would be to try and find out who he is and who he works for. I am pretty sure his employer wouldn’t want someone that aggressive working for them.

Why was the CM 2000 not operating?
  • EBEB
    Because it doesn’t work with Ant+ triggers reliably, so I had tried with GPS triggering. The first time I tried GPS triggering it worked, but it didn’t yesterday.

It should have been on and I hadn’t checked. It tricked me by working the first time. I thought it worked.

Today I went for a very quick run to the post office delivery centre. I think I may be closer to getting it to work again with Ant+ triggers.

The device goes into sleep mode after 3 minutes of inactivity even if it is on trigger mode. Even though it can still be woken up using BT from the phone it isn’t by Ant+ signals. You have to manually wake it up by pressing a button.

That wasn’t the only thing I did differently though. I’m going to remove them 1 by 1 to see if they are important. They are
    1) both GPS and Ant+ triggers on
    2) phone screen on settings page when carefully put in pocket (phone not slept and risk of making pocket calls)
    3) press button physically to wake it up (the one next to the record button)

I did 1 & 2 and it still didn’t work even though I checked the BT connection on the phone could still wake it up.

TBH, if you have to press a button to wake it up you might as well press a button to start it…

But, that it can be woken from the app and recording started from the app does suggest they can mend it with an app update (at-least GPS triggering). What happens to Ant+ if it sleeps I don’t know.

Other things I’ve found. There is no way to get it to turn on with Bluetooth on as default. If you turn it off using only Bluetooth it still uses quite a lot of energy and when you plug the camera in to charge the Bluetooth turns off. Also turning on the Bluetooth is impossible with gloves on.

Another thing might be more relevant to MTB; you can trigger remotely (eg. Putting it after a jump), but only using BT and not the bigger range wifi. To do wifi you have to get an entire live view connection and then press record.