Tighter gear ratio for cassettes

kovacsa
kovacsa Posts: 44
edited December 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All, Does anyone know about tighter gear ratios for cassettes?

This is my current cassette. http://www.bikeman.com/FW8970.html

When I am peddling and want to switch to a slightly harder (or easier) gear, one switch often feels like a big change. I'm looking for a cassette (or solution in general) that will give me finer adjustments when I change gears so that the change does not feel as large. I don't want to switch the front chain ring either just to get small adjustments. If the first two cogs are eliminated (11T and 13T) that is okay as I don't use those much anyway. Any ideas? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There is a whole raft of ten speed cassette clusters, just go look at wiggle or chain reaction cycles and you’ll get a massive choice.

A quick check found me 11:28, 12:30, 11:32, 11:34 as options, the second two in SLX, the first two as Ultegra.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Assuming as that site is in $ he's not in the UK, although clicking back a notch to 'cassettes' obviously brings up the whole range.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Must be a roadie if you think that is not tight enough, 10-42 11 speed doesn't feel as though it has big jumps to me on my CX.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    As above, it also depends on the pedalling style and terrain.

Ideal pedalling is at constant cadence and on a road with minor undulations a close ratio cassette is udseful.

Off road and hilly terrain probably not so. Off road my cadence is lower and varies more as I tend to power through the gears so find I don't need close ratio.