Youtube video mentions cash for favours in the 1980's

jerry3571
jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
edited January 2018 in Pro race
Hi,
I was always interested in how Millar lost the Vuelta in the 80's and this is how it happened. Complete openness on how money changes hands. :shock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4NZg6Vx2kQ
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
-Jacques Anquetil

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    80's and on.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 397901.stm

it was common practice and part of the sport... spotting the deals unfold on the road was a spectator sport in of itself.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • jerry3571
    Funny as watching a Vuelta one year with Jalabert and Zulle dominating I noticed on one mountain stage that one of the smaller teams were pulling for ONCE. Never Had worked out why they were doing that. Sometimes it's so a rider who might want to ride for that team then there's Favours and then cash.
    Bit less common nowadays with TV coverage and since usps and Sky who just do all the work.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

-Jacques Anquetil
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's a business.
  • jerry3571
    cougie wrote:
    It's a business.

That is one of the best responses to my many posts. Nailed it Cougie. :wink:

-Jacques Anquetil