Cycling New Wheels: Carbon Wheel Maintenance and Fear of Damage Over Time

phtan
phtan Posts: 6
edited December 2017 in Road beginners
Hello everybody,

This year I got some nice Shimano carbon wheels for a great deal after riding aluminum clinchers for three years. They feel great and look great! 8)

However, I don’t know how often should I clean the brake pads.

I read on some forums that sometimes the rim gets worn down/damaged and has to be replaced, leading to expensive costs, because of the brakes. My worst fear is investing in some nice wheels and having them slowly deteriorate because of poor braking maintenance.

So, my question is: how often should I clean the brake pads and wheels? How should I?

I really like my new wheels and I always feel anxious squeezing the brakes because I feel it eats the rim slowly.

I am relatively new to carbon wheels, so please no fire throw at me please. Also, first time on this site. Glad to be here with all you guys.

Any insight? How to ease my troubles? Thanks!

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I'm not saying this is how it must be done, but this is what I do on my rim braked bike. I clean the brake blocks by picking out any alloy shards / grit etc whenever I've been out in the rain and also if they just sound noisy. If they're noisy, it's usually the sound of your expensive rims being machined away.

This is the primary reason why I'm gradually moving over to disc brakes (not starting a rim vs disc war, I couldn't care less what others use or prefer).
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Carbon wheels last for years - they aren’t actually very fragile at all.

Clean the wheel rims and pads when cleaning the rest of the bike - I use a soapy sponge then rinse off with a hose.

If using in wet gritty conditions just hose down the rim and the pads after use and All will be well.

Every now and again just pop the wheel off and have a look at the pad.

Never had any problems at all doing it this way on either ali rim or carbon rimmed wheels.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Only ride uphill. That way you don’t need to brake. Gravity does it for you.
  • phtan

Clean the wheel rims and pads when cleaning the rest of the bike - I use a soapy sponge then rinse off with a hose.

If using in wet gritty conditions just hose down the rim and the pads after use and All will be well.

Never had any problems at all doing it this way on either ali rim or carbon rimmed wheels.

Just how often do you clean the rim/pads? I rarely ride in rainy conditions by the way.
  • phtan
    dodgy wrote:
    This is the primary reason why I'm gradually moving over to disc brakes.

Hmmm, I actually don't know how disc brakes work. They look like a really good alternative over rim brakes.
  • Matthewfalle
    phtan wrote:

Just how often do you clean the rim/pads? I rarely ride in rainy conditions by the way.

Once every couple of weeks when I clean the bike.

Chain cassette chains rings once a week, good old soapy hand job every two weeks. Turtle Wax car shampoo after degreasing the whole bike with Jizer and a paintbrush.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    phtan wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

Hmmm, I actually don't know how disc brakes work. They look like a really good alternative over rim brakes.

Exactly the same as a motorbike disc brake.

Just an alternative over rim brakes - whether they are really good or not is not a discussion to have here.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • phtan wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

Just an alternative over rim brakes - whether they are really good or not is not a discussion to have here.

Especially considering you can’t use them unless you get a new bike and new wheels to replace the shiny new carbon ones your so desperately trying to keep nice.
  • phtan
    phtan wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

Especially considering you can’t use them unless you get a new bike and new wheels to replace the shiny new carbon ones your so desperately trying to keep nice.
    8)
  • Matthewfalle
    N+1 ......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Wheels are consumable. They'll wear out eventually but you'll probably have got bored of them before then.

My best bike doesn't go out in crappy weather unless it has to. Grit will wear things down so if you've been out in crappy conditions then wash the rims and pads down when you wash the bike.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Don't Shimano carbon wheels have alloy braking tracks - in which case they don't need to be treated any differently than any other wheel set?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Matthewfalle
    His post intimates that he has got carbon braking surface

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Used mainly in the dry, in the UK they ll last you decades :lol:

i clean the rims with Acetone, bought from a Hair dresser supply shop, 1l will last you a few years, Carbon pads tend to be very soft, so any grit doesnt stay in the pad for long, i d say the Campag RED pads (for carbon) are better than anything shimano make, based on using both.
  • phtan
    mamba80 wrote:

i clean the rims with Acetone, bought from a Hair dresser supply shop, 1l will last you a few years, Carbon pads tend to be very soft, so any grit doesnt stay in the pad for long, i d say the Campag RED pads (for carbon) are better than anything shimano make, based on using both.

Thank you sir.
  • Matthewfalle
    Swisstop yellow pads also rock

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    phtan wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Thank you sir.

Just a quick one, different wheels respond differently to different brake pads, so MF likes Swisstop yellows but i found them awful (on some DA c35 tubs) maybe the newer black prince are better?
    Lifeline ones are dirt cheap, slightly grabby in the dry, good in the wet , super soft but wear very quickly, however they are very very cheap! (on vittoria carbon tubs)
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-perfor ... pack-of-4/

Just remember DA wheels are warrantied for 3 years (by shimano europe) if you make any sort of claim, remember you only ever used shimano pads!!!
  • Matthewfalle
    mamba80 wrote:
    phtan wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Thank you sir.

Just a quick one, different wheels respond differently to different brake pads, so MF likes Swisstop yellows but i found them awful (on some DA c35 tubs) maybe the newer black prince are better?
    Lifeline ones are dirt cheap, slightly grabby in the dry, good in the wet , super soft but wear very quickly, however they are very very cheap! (on vittoria carbon tubs)
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-perfor ... pack-of-4/

Just remember DA wheels are warrantied for 3 years (by shimano europe) if you make any sort of claim, remember you only ever used shimano pads!!!

As a mamba says completely correctly - pads are very wheel and personal preference.

I love Swisstop yellow but hate the black whereas I also have BBB white jobs at £9 for four on two bikes and have no problems with them.

Koolstop are also very well rated.

Too many decisions,

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.