Sram rival crankset upgrade

Eziemniak
Eziemniak Posts: 5
edited December 2017 in Workshop
Hi, I have a px pickenflick with 46/36 crankset, that's currently my do it all bike. As the drivetrain is slowly becoming worn out I am thinking of upgrading, however I wpuld like to get some easier gearing. I know that in theory sram rival 2x11 isn't compatible with 11/36 cassette so I am looking at getting a subcompact chainset. However most of these available have rather steep prices ie new fsa stuff.
Would a mtb xt crankset work? If yes do I need a new bb (currently sram gxp threaded)?
If not how do I get a lower gearing without spending bazyllions?

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Eziemniak wrote:
    Hi, I have a px pickenflick with 46/36 crankset, that's currently my do it all bike. As the drivetrain is slowly becoming worn out I am thinking of upgrading, however I wpuld like to get some easier gearing. I know that in theory sram rival 2x11 isn't compatible with 11/36 cassette so I am looking at getting a subcompact chainset. However most of these available have rather steep prices ie new fsa stuff.
    Would a mtb xt crankset work? If yes do I need a new bb (currently sram gxp threaded)?
    If not how do I get a lower gearing without spending bazyllions?

So you're using a 46/36 and want easier gearing. Then go to a SRAM Rival 50/34 compact with wifli rear derailleur allowing you to use an 11/32 cassette. A combination of 36/36 gives you a gear ratio of 1:00 and a combination on 34/32 gives you a combination of 1:06. At the other end of the scale, why do you need a 52 big ring? Unless you're mythically spinning out, a 50 tooth is fine.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.