Shimano MTB 11s cassete - compatible with 10s freehub?

lukasamdvLJ27cA7
lukasamdvLJ27cA7 Posts: 51
edited December 2017 in MTB general
Hello,
I have a question about compatibility - can I use Shimano MTB 11s cassete (like M8000) on 8/9/10s freehub?
I found some inforamtion which say: YES... But.. what about road cassetes?

I have CX bike with Ultegra 6800 11s cassete and Ultegra 6800 rear derailleur and I'ld like to bought second wheelset only for terrain and tubeless (to quickly exchange whole wheelset). Will it work properly with second rear wheel with 8/9/10s freehub + 11s MTB cassete without any derailleur adjustment at every exchange?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, MTB cassettes have larger sprockets (low gears) and the largest overhangs the end of the freehub, road cassettes can’t do that so they need a wider freehub which creates the confusion.

But no, you are likely to have to tweak (or major adjust) the rear derailleur at wheel swaps, some freehub shave the cassette in quite different positions to others, Novatec for example move the cassette about 6mm closer to the frame than Shimano.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.