Gravel Bike Tyre Recommendation Needed Please

cij28
cij28 Posts: 1,272
edited January 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi

I have a number of road bikes and mtb too.

Just bought an Enigma Ecroix steel gravel bike and need some help with the tyre choice please.

700c wheels and frame will accept up to a 40mm tyre comfortably.

I will not be using it for cx just for some light trail and road to get there and back.

What tyres would you recommend that roll well, have decent puncture protection and work well off road on hardish surface.

Not likely to use them in a very muddy situation.

Would you go to the 40mm or smaller and also which tyre please?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Comments

• crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    Schwalbe G-One tyres work well on the road and reasonably well on hard packed gravel but are terrible with any mud.
    WTB Nano's roll reasonably well on the road and due to their more Knobbly profile work really well off road and can handle a bit of mud.
    Out of the two I'd be more inclined to use the Nano's, especially running tubeless they work very well.
    I ran a set of the Nano's and rode London to Brighton off-road and they were great, I then returned back to London on the road where they were a little draggy but otherwise good. For that ride they were tubeless running about 40-45 psi if I remember correctly.
  • cij28
    cij28 Posts: 1,272
    I looked at the Nano’s so may well go with them.

What size would you recommend?

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    The stock Clement Strada USH 32mm on my Genesis are excellent. Sounds like about the right pattern for what you're asking for...
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • crossed
    The Nano's were 40mm I think.
    Planet X often have them on special for about £20 each.
  • https://www.merlincycles.com/panaracer- ... 90671.html ~£57 for a pair before Topcashback

Don't buy bigger than 35mm if you literally have clearance for 40mm, they size big by ~3mm in all sizes.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    +1 for the WTB Nano's. Size up as 40mm on my wide rims, I have the TCS version so run them as tubleless. Am sure I also read somewhere that they are now doing them in a tan sidewall version. I'll be getting some when these current ones wear out...

If not bothered about tubeless, I also like Challenge Gravel Grinders in 38mm (size up close to 40mm). Nice fast file tread with chunky side knobs, great for off road and gravel.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Another fan of the Nano's. But not too much of a fan of the Schwalbe G tyre as I don't find it any good off-road. Maybe ok in dry very hard packed gravel, but go anywhere damp or forestry and the grip doesn't fill me with confidence.
    Also Panaracer Gravel Kings are pretty good. All depends on how adventurous you want to go off-road. I've found the Panaracer and Compass Tyres to be very good in dry conditions.

Current faves are Maxxis Rambler, good all round tyre, especially good for when you are exploring and unsure of what conditions you may encounter.
  • Compass Barlow Pass or Bon Jon Pass. Tubeless setup with Orange Seal Endurance.

Light trail/off-road hardish surfaces/road.

Stay away from the mud.
  • crossed
    Good call on the Compass tyres.
    I've been running a set of Barlow Pass for ages now. They're expensive but seem to be very hard wearing. Again I've done London to Brighton off road on them with absolutely no problems. Never managed to get them to work tubeless though.
  • I’ve got specialized roubaix pro tyres - the standard tyre on the Diverge. Not much good in mud, but sounds like you don’t need that. I’ve ridden over 3,000 miles without a puncture. Riding is mostly on quiet lanes in the Peak District so lots of stones, pot holes etc and Hawthorne clippings when the far,era cut the hedges. Some gravel trail riding but not much. I’d recommend them.
  • btiratsoo
    btiratsoo Posts: 204
    Schwalbe G-One's in 38mm tubeless are my all round tyre on my Bokeh. Great in anything but slop or wet chalk, but show me any tyre that doesn't lose traction on wet chalk. The G's have been running very well so far this winter and the tubeless set up has been great.

Compass Barlow Pass 38mm for summer use only - they don't like dirty, wet, sloppy, flint ridden Hampshire lanes and the sidewalls are not that hard wearing for anything but smooth off road use. Brilliant in dry weather though.

I'm running Hope 20Five 700c wheels converted to tubeless.

Ben