Winter tyres advise please

Panicbuy
Panicbuy Posts: 8
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Iam looking for a really good winter tyre for my Trek Madone
Currently using Vittoria corsa but very prone to punctures so looking for a tyre that has very good puncture resistant and that can roll well.
I do have the option to go tubeless but very unsure on this option.

Any help would be great

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Panicbuy wrote:
    Iam looking for a really good winter tyre for my Trek Madone
    Currently using Vittoria corsa but very prone to punctures so looking for a tyre that has very good puncture resistant and that can roll well.
    I do have the option to go tubeless but very unsure on this option.

Any help would be great
    Michelin Pro4 Endurance in 25mm if they will fit. Been running 28mm on my PX Pro Carbon for a couple of years now an they have been faultless summer and winter

£26ish from PBK

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-ty ... Gwodw7gFlA
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Another vote for the Pro4's used them all winter without issue.
  • Thanks for replys on this and after looking at some reviews they seem very good
    Iam still stuck between a few tyres tho
    1. Conti 4 season
    2.Durano plus
    3. Michelin pro 4

but will probably order michelin
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Been using Pro4s for about 2 years without punctures. 25s and 28s on my work horse and winter bikes. Had them from Decathlon in a twin pack for about £45 IIRC.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    4 Seasons are ok but I think they are a bit soft when it comes to protection and their treaded profile certainly chucks up loads of water if you are out on wet surfaces; they are also a tad overpriced. The Michelins are great value and durable, despite not looking particularly robust. The Durano Plus are the only ones I haven't tried but have heard good things about.

Peter
  • If i was to go for Michelin pro 4 endurance v2 should i choose 28mm over 25mm
    Would the 28mm be a little faster than 25mm
  • Panicbuy wrote:
    If i was to go for Michelin pro 4 endurance v2 should i choose 28mm over 25mm

28s should be comfortable, faster depends upon the internal rim width of your tyres, on 17mm internal rim width the 25s would be more aero. You could always buy one of each. :twisted:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    Panicbuy wrote:
    If i was to go for Michelin pro 4 endurance v2 should i choose 28mm over 25mm

at low speed it's of little relevance, at higher speeds match the width to the rim, a tyre bulging out wider than the rim is poor aerodynamically

fwiw my lw wheels are 19mm wide, peak speeds (descents >60kph on routes i ride a lot) are consistently higher with 22mm tubs than with 25mm (all veloflex tubs), they are less snatchy in crosswind as well

though if you're not time trialing it really doesn't matter
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Thanks i will want to fit them to my Bontrager aeolus 5 so would they be hard to get over the rim or would i need strong thumbs
  • Decide which is more important. If you want winter specific tyres, rolling resistance and speed it secondary. You’re looking for grip and puncture protection. For this I would go for 25mm Conti GP4Seasons. If speed is more important to you and are ready to take a small risk on punctures then I personally stay on GP40000s. It takes 5 mins to fix a flat. I’ve ridden most days the last few weeks in all conditions on main roads and muddy country back roads. Not suffered 1 puncture due to the tyre being penetrated. Had a dodgy valve on one but that’s it. Poor weather means you are not looking at blasting around as fast as possible. If you don’t have the grip your more likely to skid or come off than worry about getting a flat. Everything is a trade off.

If you can go tubeless then give it a try. You can still put an innertube inside if you do suffer a flat. Generally most tubeless tyres are good fast grippy tyres anyway.