best waterproof jacket?

maddog 2
maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Money no object.

I have a Madison Premio but it's rubbish. Nice fit but isn't waterproof or breathable, so basically crap.

I don't care about the price! Just give me something waterproof.

Rapha has a few candidates - but what is the difference between the 'Classic Rain Jacket II' and the 'Pro Team Race Cape' in terms of their waterproofing? Not the fit or anything - which one is more waterproof?

Ta.
Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer

Comments

• chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Why don’t you email them and ask? They’re usually pretty helpful with stuff like that. For popular products the reviews are usually reliable too, read enough of them and you’ll get a good idea of what a product is like.
  • maddog 2
    Will do. The Race Cape has some good reviews but no direct comparisons with the Classic Rain.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Anything using the Gore Shakedry fabric. Proper full waterproof protection, packs as small as an emergency showerproof, as breathable as anything.
    Castelli Idro uses it and is £156 in the Sigma sale, that would be where my money would go. I have a Gore One 1985 bought for £120 in the Evans sale, very good but the Castelli fit will be better
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    super_davo wrote:
    Anything using the Gore Shakedry fabric. Proper full waterproof protection, packs as small as an emergency showerproof, as breathable as anything.
    Castelli Idro uses it and is £156 in the Sigma sale, that would be where my money would go. I have a Gore One 1985 bought for £120 in the Evans sale, very good but the Castelli fit will be better

If money's no option, has to he the Gore I agree.
    They now have a hi viz option out, £220 at Wiggle, but you did say money no object.
    Hopefully the Castelli will also benefit from these colour options soon too.
    I purchased a Gore variant, but couldn't bring myself to wear it, as just felt too dark - just my personal viewpoint, not suggesting anyone is wrong to wear one.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • maddog 2
    what's the difference between the 'Gore ONE' and the 'ONE 1985'?
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    maddog 2 wrote:
    what's the difference between the 'Gore ONE' and the 'ONE 1985'?

Slightly improved fit and a pocket that doubles as a stuff sack on the 1985. But on any of these jackets, it's all about the fabric.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    That shakedry with the colours looks good. The other one is too dark for rainy weather.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I have both Rapha's, a new Race Cape and a 2 year old classic.
    The race cape looks nicer, I've only had it since September. I've had to reapply the water repellent treatment on the Classic Jacket. That was probably after a year.
    I don't notice I boil in the bag any different between the jackets. Neither of them are particularly packable, its do-able but they are bulky in your pocket.

If its cold and wet, I prefer to use a soft-shell, I use Rapha Pro Team Soft-shell, I'd have the Classic Jacket in my pocket ready to wear if the rain is a proper deluge. But only if its cold as well. The Race Cape I tend to wear in milder conditions.

If I was buying now I'd probably look at the Gore Shake Dry or Castelli Idro myself. I'd still go with the Soft-Shell and just have the idro as a packed jacket. I doubt it would be any better in terms of waterproofing, but its the more packable nature of it that I'd be interested in.
  • The race cape and rain jacket from rapha are the same in terms of waterproofing IME. Both will need reproofing after a few months of use, I found the race cape lasted a little longer with its initial DWR treatment.

Sold mine in the end and got the gore wear one. Completely waterproof and does not require reproofing. The only drawback is that it is only available in the one colour if aesthetics are a big factor in your decision.
  • Assos Sturmprinz, nothing else comes close.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Gore Shakedry, isn't a warmth layer but best job from all my kit for keeping rain off and moisture build up. Replaced my Endura SL and Rapha waterproof jackets. I still use the soft shell jackets I own, but the Gore packs away nice and light in a pocket
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • daniel_b
    ..and got the gore wear one. Completely waterproof and does not require reproofing. The only drawback is that it is only available in the one colour if aesthetics are a big factor in your decision.

Not anymore though:
    Gore-ONE-1985-Gore-Tex-SHAKEDRY-Jacket-Cycling-Waterproof-Jackets-Black-Neon-Yellow-SS18.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7
    Gore-ONE-1985-Gore-Tex-SHAKEDRY-Jacket-Cycling-Waterproof-Jackets-Black-Neon-Yellow-SS18-0.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

£220 is the cheapest at the mo that I can find, will probably snap one up when they are on offer from around a 3rd off their £250 RRP.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    ..and got the gore wear one. Completely waterproof and does not require reproofing. The only drawback is that it is only available in the one colour if aesthetics are a big factor in your decision.

Not anymore though:
    Gore-ONE-1985-Gore-Tex-SHAKEDRY-Jacket-Cycling-Waterproof-Jackets-Black-Neon-Yellow-SS18.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7
    Gore-ONE-1985-Gore-Tex-SHAKEDRY-Jacket-Cycling-Waterproof-Jackets-Black-Neon-Yellow-SS18-0.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

£220 is the cheapest at the mo that I can find, will probably snap one up when they are on offer from around a 3rd off their £250 RRP.

For the 99% of roadies that don't use mudguards that yellow patch'll be black within a couple miles ;)
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I’ve a Rapha race cape and a classic rain jacket, the only real difference is the cut. Both are waterproof and breathable-ish, the race cape looks lovely on.

If I was buying a high end rain jacket now though I’d get the 7mesh Oro
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    The castelli idro is waterproof, and sigma are selling them at £156 at the minute
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    I found the 7 Mesh Oro to be the best fitting of the Shakedry offerings. Just to throw another into the mix.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • maddog 2
    cheers all. Looks like the One/Idro/Oro are the candidates.

I'm not a Castelli shape so maybe down to two. LBS has the Gore so will try that on tomorrow.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Assos Sturmprinz, nothing else comes close.

Agreed :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • I've had my Race Cape since Spring of 2014 and it's never failed me. Best performing and fitting waterproof I've ever had. It also looks as good as new. I give it a couple of proper NikWax wash/DWR/tumble treatments a year and it carries on with its job. Great bit of kit.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I've got a Gore 1895 Shakedry in a medium going spare if someone wants to make me an offer. Never been wore except to try it on, still got the tags although they aren't attached.
  • daniel_b
    Webboo wrote:
    I've got a Gore 1895 Shakedry in a medium going spare if someone wants to make me an offer. Never been wore except to try it on, still got the tags although they aren't attached.

Something like this one?
    f2f9a39ac7b097671d5e93464cd336ce.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    No mines double breasted.