Arundel Mandible Cages?

Captain Fagor
Captain Fagor Posts: 739
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Does anyone know why the Arundel Mandible cages seem to have disappeared from the UK retailers and if there's any timescale for their return?

I always intended buying a set for a Colnago build and now what I'm feeling that itch, I can't find any!

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    a quick google shows condor have them in stock

also r2-bike in germany, probably others too
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Bespoke cycling in London can get them in for you on order. They currently have no uk distributor so Bespoke can get them in via Parlee.

Obvs only at RRP sadly
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Was it the oil slick black ones you were after? I have a pair untouched in all their packaging that I might sell, I'd bought them for a build and never used them.
  • Cant you get copies from Aliexpress? Ridiculously overpriced.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • SS - I have actually looked there but no luck so far and would be more than happy to buy if I found it.

Fancy searching?
  • sungod - thanks, but would rather not create a new account just for a couple of cages. Besides, Condor don't have white.

Shirley Basso - thanks for the info. If they're not sufficient organised to have a UK distributor, then I'm not going to chase after them to give them business.

mfin - it was white ones I was looking for. I will probably end up just using the Colnago ones, which at least I know work very well.

SloppySchleckonds - having shelled out for a Colnago, having fake cages would be a false economy.

Thanks all. Over and out.
  • sungod
    the white ones are in stock at r2
  • Sungod - just checked and those are black with white decals, not the "white out" colour.

(Also have a new colnago which I think needs white mandies)

Not buying them because they currently don't have a UK distributor seems a bit "cutting of your nose to spite your face", doesn't it? I don't know the reason. It it could be that the original company went bust.

Bespoked are a friendly bunch. Give them a call.

Also over and out is an oxymoron.
  • Carbon-Fiber-UD-matte-MTB-Bicycle-Water-Bottle-Holder-Cage-Bike-Accessories-Carbon-Bottle-Cage.jpg
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    To buy real ones at £40 each is stupid economy. I have 'fake' gloss, no weave ones on my C60 and they cost me under £20 for the pair. They work just as well, they just dont have a logo on them. I also have 'real' ones on another bike and performance wise there is no difference.
    Maybe the reason they dont have a UK distributor is because at last a good few of us out here are tired of being ripped off and stopped buying them and many other cycling things at over inflated prices.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited December 2017
    While I agree with the sentiment to a degree, you can't get the "white out" colourway from China.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    To buy real ones at £40 each is stupid economy. I have 'fake' gloss, no weave ones on my C60 and they cost me under £20 for the pair. They work just as well, they just dont have a logo on them. I also have 'real' ones on another bike and performance wise there is no difference.
    Maybe the reason they dont have a UK distributor is because at last a good few of us out here are tired of being ripped off and stopped buying them and many other cycling things at over inflated prices.

This exactly, as per that thread by that MF bloke entitled something like “do people really buy this stuff”. That MF bloke is a genius.

But hey, people will still pay for it alongside their power meters and Watt bikes.....
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Mmmm. Thinking about it why didnt I buy a fake Chinese C60?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Should have bought a c59 ;)
  • sungod
    Sungod - just checked and those are black with white decals, not the "white out" colour.

r2's 'white' looks like pretty white to me...

arundel-trinkflaschenhalter-mandible-28g-white~2.jpg
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Those genuine Mandibles look a lot better quality than those hideous fakes pictured on Sloppy's post.
  • Apologies sungod I stand corrected. I looked at this link where it's all black ones with decals

https://r2-bike.com/ARUNDEL-Trinkflasch ... andible_18
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    *grillminirant
    Love me some Mandibles, but they grip bottles really tightly and make them look ungainly after a while. I wonder what would be alternative cage that could hold bottles just as reliably? In Paris - Roubaix bottles were launched left and right on first few cobble sections, it was quite amusing. I was not so amused to see one bouncing towards me when going down Combe Lane @ 60+kmph.
    This is where value of quality cages lies, reliability and confidence. This also applies to buying super cheap and powerful lights and not having courtesy to dip them. I am all for freedom for people to use what they want, as long as they don't make others suffer.
    By the way, i am not saying there are no other cages as reliable as Mandible, i just don't have experience with them. Thus the question about similar alternatives