£750 to spend.

kernel_gadaffi
kernel_gadaffi Posts: 121
edited February 2018 in MTB buying advice
Happy christmas to all. Now, following a small windfall, I have £750 to spend on a fresh MTB, I'm looking at going to a 29er and would love to be able to include a dropper. I'm not an out and out trail nutter, just a normal guy who likes to have fun on occasion. I know that there might be some offers on a few bikes shortly, but it's a minefield out there. I do have a liking for the Cube bikes, but is there anything better or as good within my limited budget, to include a post dropper.

Ta.
Cube Peloton Pro.
Genesis Core 30.

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    VooDoo Bizango from Halfords. £650, or £585 with BC discount, spend the extra on a dropper post.
    You won’t find a bad review.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Seconded in the Bizango.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thank you, the Bizango does get good plenty of good reviews, colour me impressed, the next question, which dropper?
    Cube Peloton Pro.
    Genesis Core 30.
  • JGTR
    Thank you, the Bizango does get good plenty of good reviews, colour me impressed, the next question, which dropper?

Brand X, £90.
    Or get a Reverb in the sales, although you won’t get under the bar lever.
  • lofty102
    lofty102 Posts: 138
    Have you looked at the Calibre Line 10 from go outdoors, comes with dropper post fitted.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-line-10-mountain-bike-p414112

http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/calibre-line-10-366295
    2010 Mondraker Factor RR
    2014 canyon ultimate cf 9.0 sl
    2016 Planet x pro carbon
    2017 Scott Spark 730
  • JGTR
    edited December 2017
    lofty102 wrote:
    Have you looked at the Calibre Line 10 from go outdoors, comes with dropper post fitted.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-line-10-mountain-bike-p414112

http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/calibre-line-10-366295

Nice bike but not a 29er, hence the Bizango.
  • lofty102
    lofty102 Posts: 138
    my bad!! Ha
    2010 Mondraker Factor RR
    2014 canyon ultimate cf 9.0 sl
    2016 Planet x pro carbon
    2017 Scott Spark 730
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Bizango good shout. I see the 2016 version which Ive got is discounted to £500, and its a 2x10 so much more versatile than the newer version 1x11 imo, the new one in red does look better tho. But then thats a whole other debate....!
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    kirkee wrote:
    Bizango good shout. I see the 2016 version which Ive got is discounted to £500, and its a 2x10 so much more versatile than the newer version 1x11 imo, the new one in red does look better tho. But then thats a whole other debate....!

Nothing to do with versatility, you'll probably find the 1x11 setup will give you all the usable range of the 2x without the overlap in the middle, and there is less to go wrong. Both would be good but I would prefer the NX 1x setup personally

Red is faster too :wink:
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    HaydenM wrote:
    kirkee wrote:

Nothing to do with versatility, you'll probably find the 1x11 setup will give you all the usable range of the 2x without the overlap in the middle, and there is less to go wrong. Both would be good but I would prefer the NX 1x setup personally

Red is faster too :wink:
    Agree red does look faster and the 1x 11 could offer you more you a more varied ride as you will be more likely to walk up steep technical climbs rather than spin. Sorry to be repeating myself again!
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • kernel_gadaffi
    kernel_gadaffi Posts: 121
    edited February 2018
    Update.

Thank you all for the advice, I did look at the options and was going to make a decision when I was made aware of a very good offer. Tomorrow, I'll be collecting a 2017 Cube Acid 29er and it was £100 under my budget, leaving me with money for a new helmet, SPD's and a few other bits and pieces. It has 2X11, with a 42 on the back, so a great range of gears for my old and decrepid self.

Yes, I am a very happy bunny.

Thank you.
    Cube Peloton Pro.
    Genesis Core 30.
  • It looks like a nice bike - certainly the colour is nicer than the bizango. If you're new to cycling the 2x10 probably gives you a bit more range than the 1x11 (although I haven't checked the ratios).

The voodoo has more modern gearing and a better fork I think though. Everything else is probably fairly even - although the cube appears a bit lighter which you'll probably like.

Get a dropper post on there and get out and have fun!