Bike Stem Sizing Help

PeteK25
PeteK25 Posts: 29
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Both my current bike and new bike are supposed to be 52CM, however the new bike seems to be a lot shorter than the old bike. On my old bike I felt slight stretched but approximately 10mm-15mm. For the new bike, what size stem will I need to make it 10 - 15 mm shorter than my old bike? The measurements that I have are listed below. Thanks in advance for you assistance!

2lusx0p.jpg

Comments

• Hi PeteK25, you're missing vital info in terms of stack/reach and/or seat and head angles. Although your new bike would appear to be much longer in the top tube this might be compensated by the seat angle - in part at least. The easy way to get your desired stem length is to set your saddle position - if you are happy with this on your old bike replicate it on the new. The usual way to do this is to measure the distance the tip of the saddle is behind the bottom bracket. You can use a long spirit level or plum bob and some masking tape to do this. Once you have the correct saddle position simply measure the distance from the saddle tip to your hoods on the old bike and deduct 10-15mm. You can then calculate the length you need for the desired reach. You will no doubt find that there will be a standard stem length that will fall between the 10-15mm.