Wheelbuilders in the northwest

tubbs_214
tubbs_214 Posts: 185
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
So I'm after some handbuilt wheels but I don't know where to go with regards builders. So does anybody know any good builder's in the northwest or that would be willing to ship.

Also how much do handbuilts go for, I've got a budget of 200 I want something robust either a 24/28 or 28 front and back. Im tired of looking at factory road wheels that have mega low spoke counts. And don't look reliable.

Cheers for any help.

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Not sure which part of the North West you're in. You could try this bloke if you're up in Cumbria or North Lancs
    http://www.helmwind.co.uk

TBH though most wheelbuilders will do mail order. I can recommend DCR or The Cycle Clinic but plenty of others out there.
  • Brill I'll give them a Google. Im in Manchester by the way.
  • Paul Hewitt, Leyland
  • Paul Hewitt . As good as you will get.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1 Paul
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If you are looking to get them shipped the the builder could be anywhere in the u. K.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I’ve had excellent wheels from Paul Hewitt and excellent wheels from The Cycle Clinic, all shipped to my home hassle-free. Just phone or email a builder and they will suggest something suitable for your needs and budget.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Also look at John Tatton of Skid Wheels. He has built me three sets so far and another is on the truing stand as I type. All solid and now he has gone it alone (formerly worked at the Cyclestore) he is very keen to expand his client base. Great guy, good advice and only builds wheels with quality components.

PP
    p.s. he is based just north of Stoke on Trent.