Doubles?

CharlieV453
CharlieV453 Posts: 100
edited January 2018 in MTB general
Hi there, I'm struggling on clearing any gaps/doubles or similar things like a step down, not from an ability point of view but from my confidence. At my local trails there is a double and table the same size and I can clear the table but am really trying to clear the double but I just cant commit to it properly. I was practicing jumps on my small plastic ramps as well on flat ground and got 6ft plus but I came to a jump of about three foot with a deeper gap and couldn't even take off. What advice if any does anyone have that might boost up my confidence with this. Any help on this would be really appreciated as it is the main bit holding me back from doing the same things as my riding buddies. One of my friends who is deemed over all to be less able than me has attempted and cleared both of the doubles already and the rest of them have done as well and it would be really nice to be able to join in with what they do as it is slightly demoralising to be left behind almost.
Thanks

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Following this thread.

I have no advice, because I am the biggest chicken sh1te riding. My lack of confidence mirrors yours. so following this one !
  • Haha
  • The only advice i can give is to just do it.

Dont cover the brake on the run up, and get a mate you know who can clear it "tow" you in, as in ride behind him to set speed so you know you are going quick enough.

Good luck and practice makes perfect
  • Dude, least you got the talent if not the balls. I ain't got neither.

What plastic ramps would you recommend to practice with and did you find they progressed your technique enough to warrant the investment?
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Doubles? Only time my tyres leave the ground is if I drop off a kerb :o
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Follow someone in to it. If you bottle it, try again and keep going at it.
    Remember, jumps are built to be fun, not kill you
  • simono5 wrote:
    Dude, least you got the talent if not the balls. I ain't got neither.

What plastic ramps would you recommend to practice with and did you find they progressed your technique enough to warrant the investment?
    The ramps I used were the rampage mini box scooter ramps for £30. They helped me build confidence in the fact they can be moved to different lengths. They are well worth the money and are fun with friends and for tricks. Well worth it I would say.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Plastic ramps aren't great for learning to ride dirt doubles. They're such a shallow angle that you'll never be able to learn the correct technique. You can't boost something that small which is what you need to be doing to get over gaps.