Recovery ride

rudin
rudin Posts: 14
edited January 2018 in Road beginners
Hi everyone!
I walk every day from monday to friday 2x15 min to my school and back and i was wondering if that is a good enough active recovery by it self or should i do those recovery rides as well?

Comments

• Recovery from what, a 2 hour walk?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I think you need to tell us your total weekly training load.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Recovery from what, a 2 hour walk?
    A 15 minute walk....

That's not even a warm up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rudin
    craker wrote:
    My weekly training load is arround 8-11 hours of riding.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    rudin wrote:
    craker wrote:

That's not really enough info.
    It depends on the effort of your rides.
  • rudin
    redvision wrote:
    rudin wrote:
    craker wrote:

That's not really enough info.
    It depends on the effort of your rides.
    Well.........right now i am in the base phase and i ride 9-11 h a week most of it is zone 2 (on flat) and low zone 3 (on climbs) and i do 1h tempo ride in zone 3. I also do one streinght workout on wednesday.
  • I tend to work on KWh / Kg as a measure of training load. I find it gives me a workable metric.
  • rudin
    I tend to work on KWh / Kg as a measure of training load. I find it gives me a workable metric.
    I used strava and in an average week i do about 3732 kJ of work which is about 1.0367 kWh and my weight is 62.5 kg........so that is arround 0.0166 kWh/kg (my FTP is 182 W for indoors where i train most of the winter).
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,545
    strava's guesses or real numbers from an accurate pm?

3800kj isn't even 1000kcal, you could do more than that every day without needing to recover
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rudin
    sungod wrote:
    strava's guesses or real numbers from an accurate pm?

3800kj isn't even 1000kcal, you could do more than that every day without needing to recover
    yea it's a litle bit fishy to me as well.........i think i can't give you the accurate data
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Anyway - back to the question. The objective of recovery is to recover. A ride is not necessary in order to do this. What is necessary on a recovery day is to recover so you can start training again. 'Active recovery' is mostly bollox.
  • It isn't about kj necessarily........it's about TSS, CTL, and ATL.

Everyone is at a different level. One person's kj for a week would be a lazy couch week for a pro.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You have to listen to your body. If you are pushing yourself too hard typical signs are you start getting ill more often, find your performance is dropping and feel generally down or irritable a bit. It varies greatly from person to person, I gave up with recovery rides as I just ended up going normally speed due to lack of self control and concentration.
  • I think recovery rides don’t actually help you recover, they simply give you a different stimulus. Doing nothing is better actual recovery.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I agree with most posts above, recovery rides are very hard to do properly in the real world. If you have a turbo and can control yourself then you'll be able to ride in z2; but I can't out on my local roads.
    For me, I think I get more benefit from not riding than trying to ride gently.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I don't really see walking as recovery. It's very different to cycling.
    As you have a turbo you could do a very easy 30 mins or so Just spinning the pedals. Just don't get too involved and turn it into another workout.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    That’s the thing with recovery riding, on a proper road. You’re trying to keep yourself in Z1 / Z2, and then a headwind / Hill etc get in the way, and you find your HR / Power creeping out of the band, or having to put unhelpful bursts on, to avoid traffic / junction / roundabout situations.
  • That’s the thing with recovery riding, on a proper road. You’re trying to keep yourself in Z1 / Z2, and then a headwind / Hill etc get in the way, and you find your HR / Power creeping out of the band, or having to put unhelpful bursts on, to avoid traffic / junction / roundabout situations.

So you are actually agreeing with Imposter, the objective of recovery is to recover. A ride is not necessary in order to do this.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    That’s the thing with recovery riding, on a proper road. You’re trying to keep yourself in Z1 / Z2, and then a headwind / Hill etc get in the way, and you find your HR / Power creeping out of the band, or having to put unhelpful bursts on, to avoid traffic / junction / roundabout situations.

So you are actually agreeing with Imposter, the objective of recovery is to recover. A ride is not necessary in order to do this.

On the basis that even a stopped clock is right twice a day, then yes.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

On the basis that even a stopped clock is right twice a day, then yes.

Milemuncher clearly has a lot of broken clocks in his empty old house.... :lol: