Wheel choices

Spooked
Spooked Posts: 90
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

I pootle around Sussex lanes. So kind of lumpy up and down riding with no real hills to speak of. Most routes I ride are rolling hills.

I'm after some new wheels and wonder what you guys would recommend. I average 18mph over a 4 hour ride typically on my own or with another rider.

Wheels I'm looking at are Fulcrum racing 3's, Prime RR 38's or at the top end of the budget Campag Eurus.

Is there anything else that might beat it any of these choices? I really do not want to go tubeless and find getting tyres on and off tubeless rims in the past an absolute pain.

Appreciate any input on possible best choices or opinions on my selected three.

Cheers :)

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I like the Fulcrum range - started with some OEM wheels, expanded with some FR5's for my wife and then some Quattros for me. They're a good "solid" wheel - in that I've never had an issue with them, despite the punishment I've pounded on them. My OEM front wheel finally gave up last year - I'd really ill treated it and unfortunately it's the hub that stuffed - so the whole wheel is toast.
    IIRC - Fulcrum = Campag - so I'd be happy with either Brand. No idea on Prime ...

Sussex Roads are full of potholes/bad surfaces and like you say, up and down - so you don't need aero as such - although quite a few around here ride some reasonably deep sections ...
  • Cool thanks for that. Aero would look amazing on my TCR but I really dont think I will see the benefit like you say.

I tend to ride in all weathers and throughout the winter (Im off the bike at the moment with a broken shoulder) so I'm not sure about longevity of carbon and me being me I doubt I would swap wheels dependent on weather. It takes long enough to get sorted and out for a ride without swapping wheels over.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I tend to swap bikes tbh - I've got a carbon road bike that I use for "best" - although it's currently out of action awaiting some maintenance.
    I did do swapping wheels on my commute bike - rather specifically for wheels with studded tyres fitted - I'd just swap out depending on the weather - far quicker swapping a wheelset than changing tyres each night ....
  • Campag neutron still £325 at pro bike kit.
    Awesome quality wheels , run forever , light , stiff etc. Better than zondas and fulcrum 3.
  • You'll be better off getting something wide rimmed and tubeless.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    PMd you Spooked.
  • Went for krysium pro sl in the end. Thanks everyone :)