Speed X any good ?

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Noticed that Speed X are doing the normal leopard for $1399 ( roughly £1050) which is half the price of the pro version and as far as I can tell by the spec sheet the only difference is the groupset (105 vs Ultegra Di2) - I have always got on really well with 105 so whilst Ultegra would be nice I could not justify another $1000 to upgrade from 105 (number of gears and ratios are the same).

I was on the lookout for a good value aero bike and this seems to be a absolute winner. I know it got a hammering on BR review but that was for a prototype version and by all accounts many improvements to both the seat tube / smart computer etc have been sorted.

So just to clarify for those who do not know the Speed X Leopard is a full on aero road bike with full 105 apart from some aero TRP direct pull brakes (hidden behind the fork and on the chainstays) , It gets full 50mm full carbon clinchers (made by Xero - well known wheel builders) as well as the cool integrated computer that can relay info about speed / cadence / distance / power etc etc.

The only change I can see that would be required is to swap out the 23mm rubino's to some 25mm GP4000's or similar - The frame officially supports 25mm but close up pics show a good amount of clearance so i reckon I may even be able to get 28's onto it.

All for £1050 !!

Before I put the trigger anyone who actually owns one ? Being direct sell I cannot test ride but if I can find some owners then maybe get their feedback?

Ta.

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Didn't this get absolutely slated in reviews??

Edit http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... iew-50723/
  • mr_eddy
    Yep as I said it got a bad review but that was for a prototype BR followed up stating that they can see many improvements:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... pro-50499/
  • redvision
    Your money but I wouldn't spend on one.

Far better bikes at same price out there.
  • mr_eddy
    What bikes are available for £1050 with carbon clinchers (or at least deep section aero wheels) - genuinely interested if there are any but for £1k I cannot find any aero bike that ticks the same spec boxes.

Lots for £1k with rubbish (or at least non aero wheels) but nothing as far as I can tell with decent aero wheels.

I know I could get some aftermarket wheels but surely this would put me above the £1k I want to spend.

Not interested in 2nd hand or Ex display.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Even with the changes in the updated review, the actual ride/refinement of the bike hasn't been addressed. You can pick up a Supersix for a similar price. No power meter either, which seems a big oversight on a bike focussed on ride data.
  • mr_eddy
    The only bike that I can see that comes close is maybe the Btwin Ultra 720 that has mechanical ultegra and is semi aero but has fairly standard (although decent) non 30mm Mavics. Ribble / Planet X are way over £1k when you add in aero wheels and Cube/Trek/Rose/Specialized etc want closer to £2k for a 105 or higher equipped aero bike with deep section rims.

Giant has the propel but again closer to £2k for similar spec

Note - the Speed X has 50mm carbon clinchers at sub 1800g - Vision Team 35 are £200 and roughly the same weight but won't have the same aero advantage and imo don't look as good.
  • mr_eddy
    Cheaptest Supersix I can find new is £1300 with 105 but fairly rubbish box section wheels. Add in at least £200+ for some aero wheels and I am already at £1500+
  • mr_eddy
    Just to confirm I am NOT interested in 2nd hand or refurbished etc. I am after a NEW bike with a warranty and the piece of mind knowing that it has not been crashed etc.
  • mr_eddy
    edited December 2017
    The ride quality was reported as being stiff and quite harsh but I am after a aero bike for fast road rides so I don't mind that its stiff - The harshness I believe was due to the tyres - The reviewer suggested bigger tyres would address this. I would swap to at least 25mm and possibly 28's if they fit - As we all know larger volume tyres are faster so this would not only make it more comfortable but actually make it faster on UK roads.

I would also pop in my favorite saddle - A Ti railed Charge spoon saddle (seriously comfortable).

I know I seem to have made up my mind but I am open to like for like alternatives so this means I am after something for £1100 or less with at least 105 / aero frame and deep section clincher wheels (ideally sub 1800g). I cannot seem to find anything that ticks those boxes
  • redvision
    mr_eddy wrote:
    Just to confirm I am NOT interested in 2nd hand or refurbished etc. I am after a NEW bike with a warranty and the piece of mind knowing that it has not been crashed etc.

I have yet to find one positive review of it but it's your money and sounds like you have already made your mind up.

Fwiw there is nothing wrong with buying second hand. Very cheap carbon wheels usually = sh*t wheels. Same goes for cheap carbon frames.
  • mr_eddy
    I have been burned buying 2nd hand carbon bikes before and as such I am now frankly not prepared to buy a carbon bike that may look ace but may also have unseen carbon damage etc.

Also I want something that has a warranty - 2nd hand bikes rarely come with a warranty.
  • mr_eddy
    I will see if I can get any real world reviews - Not buying anything just yet so got a bit of window before I buy anything.

If anyone finds a suitable alternative let me know

Also FWIW - I tend to agree that cheap wheels are naff but these wheels are built buy a well known wheel manufacturer (xero) so QC and aftersales service will be far better than direct factory sourced wheels on eBay.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Its actually rare to see a bad bike review these days - but that first Speed X got one.

I'd have a look at Canyon, Rose, Planet X, Merlin Cycles first.
  • The company is going into administration. The owners have spend all their money on a bike share program in China. I would avoid.

From SpeedX forums/facebook:

https://forum.speedx.com/t/message-from ... -xu/1120/3
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Well, there goes the warranty argument.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Still 50/50 on if he goes for it.... :-)