Will I die if....

MTBerSurrey
MTBerSurrey Posts: 52
edited December 2017 in MTB general
... I try to ride my Carrera Hardtail at Bike Park Wales!?

Guys and Girls.

Going to BPW this week, and, for one reason or another didn’t get the full suss I was planning on getting before now. This leave me with riding my Carrera hardtail (I am comfortable on it and it’s put up with pretty much everything I have asked so far) or hiring a FS for the day when I get there. Ideally, I don’t want to have to pay £65 hire unless it means having a rubbish day / potential safety issue.

What are people thoughts? Won’t be going crazy with mostly blue, some red and no black.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You might if you fall off and break your neck.

So don't fall off and break your neck and you'll be fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Work up through the gradings and stop when it starts to feel out of its depth, nothing needs to be dangerous at BPW as its all well signed in advance what you are getting into.

Which Carrera HT, I wouldn't take a Vengeance but a Fury is a very competent tool, I'll guess at a Vulcan or Kraken? (and of course as a rule of thumb the newer the bike the more capable it is).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I've ridden there with groups riding all sorts of bikes, including circa 2000 vintage v-braked things. Rode blues + reds with them, the rockier reds left the bikes out of their depth but nothing that prevented it from being ridden (carefully!)
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    Just take it easy and see how you get on. I think most of the bike parks have qualifier obstacles near the start of the trail. If you don't fancy those then probably shouldn't ride the rest.

If you are a competent rider on a HT then you should be fine on Blue and Red providing the bike is well maintained!
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    Mt brother rode BPW on a Carrera Valour 2012 model last year, it had shite suspension and v-brakes, he managed for the full day and really enjoyed himself but had to stick to the blues, anything rocky or steep and he was out of his depth. This November he went back and hired a full sus and said the difference was amazing and he enjoyed it much more.

I would recommend that if you are going with a group who will be riding some more reds etc then may be worth renting the FS, also good insight into the difference if you are looking to buy one soon anyway. If you're happy to stick to the blues then HT should be fine, I highly recommend Terrys Belly, just make sure you keep an eye out for the rest stop and use it!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pretty much anything is rideable on anything, just at different speeds, and level of care, and sometimes needing to push.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cheers all.

It’s a Carrera fury, current years model with upgraded tyres, stem, bars and break pads.

Sounds good. I will take it easy as see where it’s depth is. It does pretty well around Surrey Hills / Swinley but I appreciate BPW is another animal.

Gave it an overhaul today and washed and greased everything so fingers crossed it’s good to go.

Cheers.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    edited December 2017
    Don't forget to take your break pads with you to stop you burning your hands on that hot cup of coffee.

Back in the 80's we rode everything on rigids, never crossed our minds that we needed suspension.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • I survived.

Had a great day. Bike did well. No issues. Managed a few reds too like wobbly wobbly, surfin bird, bonneyville and even rim dinger. It probably would have done Insufficent Funds too if the rider has brought his big boy pants and not pushed over most of the drops....