help fox fork pls

gorfgorf
gorfgorf Posts: 11
edited December 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
okay so I have a fox 160 mm fork I don't know the model sorry but if it helps its white and the setting is really weird.
there are two knobs on the top on red for rebound and one blue for preload.
the rebound just feels like stiffening up the suspension and kikes less the more rebound you click in and preload in my riding experience does NOTHING.
Is anything wrong?
I bought the bike second hand with no mention of playing with suspension and the woman selling had no idea what she was talking about in general maintenance.There were owners before her but she doesn't know them well.
is the suspension modified?Like caps moved around or anything like that?
pls help.
if you need more info just ask in the reply section
thx :D:D:D:D:D

Comments

• schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Strip them and check out what is going on, or get them to a bike shop for a service/inspection?

Pictures would probably help, plenty variations of white fox forks out there.

Also does sound dodgy given the previous owners description.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Presumably it's a coil spring fork? The preloads does just that, it preloads the spring so that you set it at the right sag to get the right travel, it will in use feel much like it does NOTHING (is that different to nothing?).

One assumes you haven't set the sag?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • if it helps my bike comes with the original fork and my bike is a Lapierre spicy 316 for 2008.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So Google it and work out what it is. Don't be lazy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I found a site with photos of the same bike as me

http://www.zoobab.com/lapierre-spicy-316-2008
  • The Rookie
    So is the fork air or coil? Have you set the sag?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I haven't set the sag since I can't find an air cap to fit the shock pump and I think it is an air fork
    there are photos on the site I linked.
  • The Rookie
    It appears to be a coil fork, so you don't need to fit a shock pump, you set sag using the preload knob and that's what it does, which is probably why you can't feel it doing anything as in relatively gentle riding it won't make any difference.
  • cooldad
    What he said.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    The innards.

36_van_01.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    If it were an air fork, the valve would be accessed by undoing whatever is where the blue preload knob is found, as it's coil that same location is the preload for the coil spring.

I'm guessing you don't have much experience with MTBs?
  • I have 18 hours riding experience and mechanic experience is 0 with the fork the only maintenance is adjusting the derailleurs, chain cleaning and flat tyres so i am really new. anyway, thx for the answer.
  • can cooldad pls post a link to where you found the photo and a site explaining how it all works.
  • The Rookie
    edited December 2017
    If you quote the post you can see the URL of the photo which is

http://bikemag.hu/images/2010/02/36_vacn_01.jpg

There are lots of videos on YouTube that explain how suspension works.
  • cooldad
    It's in a funny language.

http://bikemag.hu/tech/teszt-fox-36-van-r

The Fox website has manuals for all old forks.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Can't find the old stuff, might be archived somewhere, but for those, all you can do is strip, clean, replace wiperseals and foam rings, and replace oil.

Plenty of videos etc on Youtube.

Oil volumes:

http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=530

You need to know exact model - should be able to put the serial no in somewhere to find out.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools