Flanders

mac111051
mac111051 Posts: 92
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Having ended up in hospital at last year's tour of Flanders and entered for next year can anyone from experience recommend a pair of tyres, not interested how much they weigh or how they roll or how fast they are all I am interested in is do they stick to the road like glue especially in the wet, I ride a emonda SL6
Mac

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Nothing will stick to wet cobbles...
  • Dam it, if only I had known that last year
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Of all of the time-honoured traditions in cycling, the desire to ride on cobbles is the least comprehensible to me.. Much rather have a few days in Mallorca at that time of year! :D
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Try Vittoria open pave the green and black ones in clincher 27mm. Dont know if they are still avalable? Or any tyre 25 mm or even 28 mm if your frame allows, that have a softer rubber compound should give the most grip. Softer compounds are usually more expensive tyres. Also try running slightly lower pressures.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    What do the pro lads use? That may provide a line of thinking.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    What do the pro lads use? That may provide a line of thinking.
    Probably hand made tubulars, specially made to order for the classics
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I usually use Conti Four Seasons, never had an issue with them.
  • I've ridden it the last 2 years in a row- the first on 25C Michelin Pro 4 (came up closer to 28C when mounted) and 25C Schwalbe Duranos which were a lot less comfortable- I'd personally use 32C at least if your bike can take it, having blisters on your palms with 20 miles still to go is pretty grim...

Both were fine grip wise though- although you can't expect any narrow (sub 30C) road tyres to grip properly on wet cobbles, you have to treat it a bit like ice and do everything smoothly.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Conti 4000s work fine as do vittorias G+ tyres. 23-28mm doesn't really matter.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    I did it in heavy rain in 2015 on a pair of 23c schwalbe duranos. I never slid off, I never punctured, I didn't have blisters. If you're going to slip off I doubt changing tyres would make any real difference. Use what you already have and let a little air out.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago