Installing freehub with no tools

einriba
einriba Posts: 319
edited December 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

A friend of mine managed to remove my freehub with a 14 mm allen key.

I’ve got a new one to put on, however, my friend with his 14 mm Allen key is out of town. I’ve been to the LBS to buy one, they don’t stock them. I’ve tried B&Q, screwfix etc....even tried Halfords. No one has ones

Will it be sufficient to put the freehub on hand tight, install the cassette and tighten with body weight on the pedals?

Or am I going to have to wait and either order one, or wait for my friend to return?
Getting up is the second hardest thing in the morning

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on the freehub. Some just push on.

But no to your question.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • einriba
    einriba Posts: 319
    cooldad wrote:
    Depends on the freehub. Some just push on.

But no to your question.

It's a screw on freehub. Tightens in the same direction as the cassette and wheel move when travelling if looking from the drive side (Clockwise). The 14mm can only be used from the non-drive side through the hub (once the axle and bearings are removed).
    Getting up is the second hardest thing in the morning
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In which case (and that unusual) yes it sounds like you can screw it on by hand, use a chainwhip to tighten and pedaling load will tighten it more.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.