shortest commute distance to justify changing clothes?

Pep
Pep Posts: 501
edited December 2017 in Commuting general
My commute will perhaps change from the present 15km to a future 5km each way (house, job, long story...).
Rigth now with 15km changing clothes is more than justified, but with only 5km I'm not sure it's worth the time/hassle.

What's the shortest distance where you think the time/hassle spent to change clothes etc is justified?

Comments

• Depends on what you are comfortable in and how hard you ride. If you work up a sweat or are worried about catching clothing in your chain/getting wet/getting dirty when you get a puncture etc, change. If not, wear what is most comfortable, with some decent waterproofs as backup.
  • Probably also what your dress code if any is.

For myself dress code is causal, I also simply can’t be bothered, I’d also have to gain 15mins over what I do now on the way to work, or it would be fairly self defeating one of the reasons I use the bike is time.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    My last place was only 3 miles and that was still worth it. Maybe not so sweaty when riding but as soon as you stop.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,318
    You might get away with not changing in the winter, but in the summer I would get too sweaty. I rode a little over 5 miles in this morning in civvies as I have the afternoon off and it's not raining. Normally I change when I get in.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Too short for me so I would Just be riding easy and not break sweat.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I wouldn't change clothes for a 3 mile commute. Maybe overshoes or 'gaiters' over my lower legs in wet weather to stay presentable. You don't need to work up a sweat, going slower and staying cool uses less time than freshening up and changing clothes.
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    I think as others have said its more down to terrain / gradient / how fit you are / how hard you ride etc. If you are fit and your ride is flat then unless you are really going for it you should be fine with normal clothes. Obviously if it rains then it's not so nice - Wet jeans suck!

If I need to take a lot of stuff into the office for example on a Monday when I need to take my weeks worth of frozen lunches / site clothes etc then I take my old MTB converted commuter with guards and pannier bags and wear normal clothes - My commute is 9 miles each way, I just go a bit slower to avoid getting a big sweat on at least on the way in then I just work harder on the way home to make up for it. Never really had a problem and its quite nice getting to work and just sitting down - I don't have to mess about getting changed.

I think if you have a commuter bike with guards and a pannier bag then you should be able to arrive at work without looking like a mess - Just go a bit slower :)
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Thanks.
    At work I can dress casual, so this helps.
    Route is flat, sadly, so this also helps.
    I will try a few times and see how it goes.

Actually I sweat a lot more during winter than summer.