Bike Mechanic- wages??

2»

Comments

• daltonbourne07jrS36RCG
    edited July 2021
    How to Become a Bike Mechanic? To become a bicycle mechanic and land a job, there are some skills you need to acquire: Assembling and disassembling of different types of bikes, building wheels, replacement of crank arm,...These technical skills are not instantly acquired. A basic repair course will equip you with the essentials on fixing and maintaining a bike. It also provides you with the theoretical foundations of different parts of a bicycle and how you can best repair them. By working in a bike shop, you can obtain holistic experience to understand more about the industry.
  • katani
    katani Posts: 140

What I have learnt about the bicycle world.

It is obviously still a very big business and the vast majority is mainstream stuff, which is mostly sold on the web or in chain stores, profit margins are very tight and it's not worth it getting involved in that part of the business in this day and age.

However, the business is so big that there is enough to be made at the fringes... a few years ago "fringe' was wheelbuilding and virtually anyone who offered this service had some degree of success, myself included. Now wheelbuilding is no longer "fringe", as only in the UK there are hundreds of small businesses that offer this service for different pockets

Bespoke frame building, bespoke bicycle fitting, frame painting, rubbing, stroking and whispering and services of all sorts exist and generally they all do better than a traditional bike shop. Lower overheads, less investment, less competition from the big corporations.

There are still a lot of "grey areas", where neither Wiggle nor your LBS can help... anything that falls in the "bespoke" category is likely to have a market out there... if you can shorten and rethread a crank, repair a rohloff hub or design and produce bespoke handlebar tape and matching saddles, someone out there will look for your services.

My advice, if you want to make a living in the bicycle business is to learn to do something that nobody (or very few) out there can do, do it well and someone will knock at your door

About a year ago, I started following one guy on Instagram who was in the process of building up a business platform there out of custom painting cycling shoes for whoever wanted to have theirs custom painted. From what I could see he was very good at it. I visited his profile just about a week ago or so, and he had "Fully booked until November" written in his bio.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    katani said:

It is obviously still a very big business and the vast majority is mainstream stuff, which is mostly sold on the web or in chain stores, profit margins are very tight and it's not worth it getting involved in that part of the business in this day and age.

However, the business is so big that there is enough to be made at the fringes... a few years ago "fringe' was wheelbuilding and virtually anyone who offered this service had some degree of success, myself included. Now wheelbuilding is no longer "fringe", as only in the UK there are hundreds of small businesses that offer this service for different pockets

Bespoke frame building, bespoke bicycle fitting, frame painting, rubbing, stroking and whispering and services of all sorts exist and generally they all do better than a traditional bike shop. Lower overheads, less investment, less competition from the big corporations.

There are still a lot of "grey areas", where neither Wiggle nor your LBS can help... anything that falls in the "bespoke" category is likely to have a market out there... if you can shorten and rethread a crank, repair a rohloff hub or design and produce bespoke handlebar tape and matching saddles, someone out there will look for your services.

My advice, if you want to make a living in the bicycle business is to learn to do something that nobody (or very few) out there can do, do it well and someone will knock at your door

About a year ago, I started following one guy on Instagram who was in the process of building up a business platform there out of custom painting cycling shoes for whoever wanted to have theirs custom painted. From what I could see he was very good at it. I visited his profile just about a week ago or so, and he had "Fully booked until November" written in his bio.
    he could be on holiday but just wants people to think he's busy.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    When Entertainment 720 first opened up they told everyone they were full up with business to get a rep of being really busy going.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,697
    MattFalle said:

katani said:

he could be on holiday but just wants people to think he's busy.
    How much can you earn doing that sort of thing anyway? It's not like there are loads of Etsy millionaires is it?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Puck Moonen also paints cycling shoes for people.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    elbowloh said:

Puck Moonen also paints cycling shoes for people.

Puck Moonen can do anything she damn well wants for me and I'll pay her every pennt I have.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Why would you want to paint your cycling shoes pray?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Thread revival by yet another spammer. But well worth another read, just to see a post from cooldad. I miss him.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    womack said:

Why would you want to paint your cycling shoes pray?

I wondered that - sounds awful.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle
    Talking of Miss Moonen with a paintbrush and a shoe, here she is.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    MattFalle said:

Talking of Miss Moonen with a paintbrush and a shoe, here she is.

When you are riding along in those shoes, folk you pass will think you have chucked up on your shoes.
  • MattFalle
    edited July 2021
    MattFalle said:

i'm only quoting this as its an excuse to see Miss Moonen again
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    She's hotter than a smack head's spoon on universal credit day.
  • MattFalle
    Only second to Lucy Worsley in total perfection.

Imagine Miss Moonen in a lab coat.

Now you're talking.
  • MattFalle
    Actually,

imagine Miss Puck in a lab coat in a Toyota Aygo.

Now you'r really talking.