Crazy to buy a B'Twin 100? No reviews!

ayank
ayank Posts: 41
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
So I went into Decathalon as some of you suggested.

There higher end bikes around $500+ were not particularly well speced (compared to mail order bikes) and most only accepted 25mm tires.

But I found their cheapest bike https://www.decathlon.fr/velo-route-tri ... 77732.html fitted my needs in particular that it could accept 32mm tires.

But there aren't any detailed reviews about it. I understand the limitations of a 48t single chain ring and a 11/34 7 speed cogset/free-wheel.

But I don't have any knowledge of:

how flexy the frame is,
the smoothness of the ride,
smoothness of gear changes,
handling characteristics

i.e. all those things you'd get from a detailed review which there are none of.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    It's a 260 euro bike, it will get you from a to b. The gears will change and it will handle and flex like a 260 euro bike.
    You get what you pay for.
    At that price usually one wheel or less.
  • ayank
    ayank Posts: 41
    Webboo wrote:
    It's a 260 euro bike, it will get you from a to b. The gears will change and it will handle and flex like a 260 euro bike.
    You get what you pay for.
    At that price usually one wheel or less.

I bought it. Actually, you couldn't be further from the truth. This surprises me a lot, as I typically nicer bikes.

I always believe that with high end goods, you *generally* pay for what you get. After all we've all bought expensive stuff that is rubbish.

But how often have you bought cheap stuff that was nice in the bike world. Looks like this is one exception.

I'll write a detailed review once I put a few hundred miles on it.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    AYank wrote:
    So I went into Decathalon as some of you suggested.

There higher end bikes around $500+ were not particularly well speced (compared to mail order bikes) and most only accepted 25mm tires.

But I don't have any knowledge of:

how flexy the frame is,

The one thing you can count on is that the frame is likely very stiff like all cheap alloy frames, no worry about that.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Frame won't flex any more than any other bikes probably.

All the talk frames "not flexing" is usually marketing BS in cycling magazines.

Downtube Shifters would be alot better than SHIMANO A050 7 imo though. Maybe you can convert it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunrace-7-8- ... rmvSB=true

EDIT looks like downtube is wrong shape for the clamp.

Budget bikes should just have DT shifters. Seems the bugdet bike market is mostly shit BSO halfords mtb with suspension forks, when it should be bikes more like this one.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Frame won't flex any more than any other bikes probably.

All the talk frames "not flexing" is usually marketing BS in cycling magazines.
    You really should try riding an early 90s bike with 531c frame and forks. :shock:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.