Changing shock tune?

Steve-XcT
Steve-XcT Posts: 267
edited December 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
The kids shock is a tiny 152x31 and has a bit of scratching that I got warned of last service.
Apparently the lead time for replacement part is "months" so I keep searching and found a whole replacement (everything but can and mounts etc.) ... for just over £100 its listed as new but the tune isn't specified and I need a ML3 for his weight and the bike (the present works really well)

How much hassle/cost would it be to get the shim stack swapped over??? Would that give the same tune?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Easy DIY job on most shocks, download the service manual from the manufacturers website.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Easy DIY job on most shocks, download the service manual from the manufacturers website.
    Cheers .. I had looked once (Its a RS Monarch) and missed that.

I usually do air can/lower leg services myself but stop there and send them off for full services. (It's mostly not economic for the extra tools + full service kit) but that answered my question... shouldn't be much more work to swap the shim stack onto the new shock if they can't just build a new one