How to improve suspensions "bouncyness"

CharlieV453
CharlieV453 Posts: 100
edited December 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there,
My friend recently bought a new fork (rock shox sector gold 140mm) and I had a quick go on it. Quickly I started to notice a difference in how much more quickly the fork returned and how bouncy/springy it felt. I am running my rebound as fast as possible I think and have tried a few different pressures between 60 and 80 psi. My forks are a similar level I believe with the same sort of coating and length of travel (I have a 130mm manitou minute comp with replaced CSU that came on my Ragley Marley 1.0 2017). Does anybody know a way to improve the rebound speed of the fork for a poppier feel. If possible it would be a way that didn't require me to take the fork apart as I don't have massive amounts of cash or mechanical expertise.

Any help is much appreciated
Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Are you sure you have the rebound on your fastest setting?

I ask because I checked a friends bike, and he though more rebound was faster. Rebound is a damper setting so needs to be dialed off, his were set on max/slowest rebound.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you only think the rebound is as fast as possible.....then check and be sure! I've lost count of the number of times people turn it the wrong way.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yes I am 150% sure it is on the fastest setting. The fork says so and I can feel a much slower return speed when it turns the other way
  • cooldad
    Without possibly rebuilding the innards, that's it then.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Really. Is there nothing else I can do whatsoever?
  • cooldad
    Not that I know of. Damping is a cartridge, so all you can do is replace it, or take it apart, but that's technical.

But extreme bouncy isn't necessarily good. It needs to be controlled.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I'm not looking for it to be uncontrollably bouncy only for it to give me a little more pop. Would decreasing the friction on the stantions make it return a bit faster at all?
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I think he’s just got a better fork than you, time for an upgrade!
  • As I said they are almost the exact same price and I don't have the money to spend on a new fork. ☹️
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    How heavy are you? 60-80psi seems quite low pressure?
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Really. Is there nothing else I can do whatsoever?
    Damping is generally achieved by having a piston push (or pull) suspension fluid through a small orifice.

You'd need to take the damper out and change the orifice size but unless you know what you are doing there is a risk of messing up the forks.

Changing the viscosity of the suspension fluid may change the damping characteristics.
  • mattyfez wrote:
    How heavy are you? 60-80psi seems quite low pressure?
    I'm around 70 kilos and the shop I bought my bike from said that 80 psi was a normal but on the harder side for what I should be running. I don't run as low as sixty I was just playing around to see if I could get the feel I was looking for.
  • 02GF74 wrote:
    Really. Is there nothing else I can do whatsoever?
    Damping is generally achieved by having a piston push (or pull) suspension fluid through a small orifice.

You'd need to take the damper out and change the orifice size but unless you know what you are doing there is a risk of messing up the forks.

Changing the viscosity of the suspension fluid may change the damping characteristics.
    Ok I may try that when I get my oil changed next. I'm not sure if this had anything to do with the problem but it only started when the cold kicked in so that could be part of it maybe.