CAAD-X Frames

matudavey
matudavey Posts: 108
edited January 2018 in Cyclocross
I'm looking to buy a second hand CAADX, mainly for the frameset so want to know if there's much difference between the frames sora builds and 105/rival builds.

Does anyone know if the CAAD-X frames 'improve' as you go up the price ranges, or are you just paying for better components and wheels?

The Cannondale website just lists all of them as 'Smartform C2 Alloy', however, I think from previous research on the Spec Allez, even though the frames sound the same in the spec, they are different as you go up the range.

Lastly, with discs now permitted in crits, I was looking to go for 1 bike 2/3 wheelsets for commuting, cross and crit racing....

Any thoughts on why that's a bad idea?

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    The most obvious thing is that the sora ones take a BSA bottom bracket, not sure about tiagra but higher end ones use BB30.

You could argue that BSA is a benefit, but it would suggest some other aspects of the frame might be a bit cheaper.

The forks all seem to have alloy steerers, so no obvious difference there.

Ultimately you'd probably have to check with Cannondale.
  • glynrs2
    glynrs2 Posts: 4,143
    I asked this question before and was told that the Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra frames were all identical. The differences being in the group set and finishing kit only.
    Comparing my friend's CAADX 105 to my CAADX Tiagra would appear to confirm this.
    I may be selling my CAADX if you are after a 54cm. May consider stripping it down and selling frameset.
  • GlynRS2 wrote:
    I asked this question before and was told that the Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra frames were all identical. The differences being in the group set and finishing kit only.
    Comparing my friend's CAADX 105 to my CAADX Tiagra would appear to confirm this.
    I may be selling my CAADX if you are after a 54cm. May consider stripping it down and selling frameset.

Thanks for the help!
    you don't know the weight of the frameset do you buy any chance?... I want to convince myself that it will be lighter than what i currently have to chuck over the hurdles!

What are your dimensions like? I'm 173cm, short legs.
    I was thinking a 51, based on current bikes. I dabble between 52s and 54s - Effective top tube around 530 normally on the road, but with a recent position shift forwards I can probably deal with the extra centimetre...
  • glynrs2
    This the geometry for 2016 CAADX frames:
    CADDX_geo.png

Size guide:
    cannondale-bikes-sizing.jpg

Photo of bike:
    2016-05-21_11.41.38.jpg

Not sure of frameset weight. Cannondale quote 9.9kg for the CAADX Tiagra as complete bike. I think you lose about 3.5kg by just taking the wheels and tyres off. I did see a thread on weight weenies where someone had got a CAADX build to just under 8kg. So I guess the frameset alone is reasonably light.

Complete spec is as follows:
    Frame CAADX Cyclocross Disc, Optimized 6061 Alloy, BB30
    Fork Cannondale Ultra X Disc, Carbon blades, 1-1/8"
    Front Derailleur Shimano Tiagra 4700, 31.8 clamp
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Tiagra 4700
    Shifters Shimano Tiagra 4700
    Chain set FSA Omega BB30, 46/36
    Chain rings 46/36t
    Bottom Bracket FSA BB30 Bearings
    Cassette Shimano Tiagra 4700, 12-28, 10-speed
    Chain KMC X10, 10-speed
    Pedals n/a
    Brakeset Promax Render R, 160mm front, 140mm rear
    Handlebars Cannondale C4 Compact, 6061 alloy
    Stem Cannondale C4, 31.8, 6 deg.
    Headset CAADX Si, 25mm top cap
    Extra Features Rear Rack & Mudguard Mounts
    Grips Cannondale Grip Bar Tape w/Gel, 3.5mm
    Rims Maddux CX Disc, 32-hole
    Front Hub Formula, DC-1422
    Rear Hub Formula DC-1422
    Spokes Stainless Steel, 15g
    Front Tyre Schwalbe Sammy Slick, 700x35c
    Rear Tyre Schwalbe Sammy Slick, 700x35c
    Saddle Cannondale Stage CX
    Seatpost Cannondale C3, 6061 Alloy, 27.2mmx300mm
    Weight 9.9kg

Maybe you could make an estimate from that?
  • Thanks for the details - apologies for the slow reply, notification went into junk.

Looks like the stack and reach dont vary much between the 54 and 52.
    If i may ask, how tall are you, and is that your saddle height in the photo?

How much would you be looking for the frameset?
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    I have a 2015 Tiagra, that I had stripped down (I believe it's the same frame as above).
    It weighed in at 1600g with the headset races still in, and the seatpost clamp in place.
    OE wheels, I think, were around 2400g without tyres or QR

Edit: Found the details I had of the wheel weights
    Weight includes rim tape, but not skewers or cassette.

FRONT

Wheel.......1026
    Tyre...........472
    Tube..........160
    Disc...........117

REAR

Wheel ......1200
    Tyre..........484
    Tube..........160
    Disc...........127

Total........3744
  • glynrs2
    matudavey wrote:
    Thanks for the details - apologies for the slow reply, notification went into junk.

Looks like the stack and reach dont vary much between the 54 and 52.
    If i may ask, how tall are you, and is that your saddle height in the photo?

How much would you be looking for the frameset?

I am 5'10" and yes that is my saddle height.
    My Cannondale Synapse road bike is a 56cm, which feels to be a slightly better fit for me. The 54cm CAADX being slightly small and I would get a 56cm if buying again.

Not sure on price for frameset, what exactly would you want? Just frame & fork, or including headset, bottom bracket, seat post, stem & bars?
  • ctp046
    ctp046 Posts: 46
    My understanding is that the CAADX frames are all very similar. However one thing to note is that the frame was redesigned for 2017 (much more progressive geometry, very stable) and at that time the sizing also changed quite a bit (before you'd want to size down if you were on the line compared to most brands, now you want to size up).