Better palmares 7: Uran vs. Gerrans

m.r.m.
m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
edited December 2017 in Pro race
Again, palmares is just a catchy title. The discussion is more meaningful if it's slanted towards who is the better cyclist, where each person can define what they consider better and how they weigh wins. Otherwise it just becomes a "counting wins on procyclingstats" exercise.
PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023

Comments

• Not a fan by any means but two monuments and his showings at the classics gives it to Gerro for me.

But then he's 7 years older than Rigo, who knows what he could do in the next couple of years? Another tour podium, strong worlds in Innsbruck, Lombardia all possibles for Uran.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    I think in some ways it really comes down to what you think is worth more. A podium at a GT or a monument. That is just rather subjective also because not all monuments are created equal and neither are all GT's.

I think I'd rather have Gerrans career, but Uran could still change that. I doubt it though. Don't think he will win anything meaningful anymore.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Uran has three GT second places and if he hadn't, ahem, looked the wrong way at a crucial moment, he'd be Olympic champion. That probably holds more weight than two monuments.

However, I'd rather have Gerrans palmares as I prefer the monuments, so not an objective view.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.