Titanium Pedal Whip Multitool

legopro87
legopro87 Posts: 16
edited December 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys. In my spare time I have made a lightweight multitool out of titanium. It has a pedal wrench, bottom bracket wrench, and chain whip hook on it. It also works with center lock brakes and like most bike tools it makes a good bottle opener too. It works pretty well and has been a fun project. I've got a kickstarter campaign going now if people want one. If not I would still appreciate some feedback. I understand this tool won't be useful to everyone but there are probably some bike packers or must be always prepared folks that would benefit from this.

1170799d1512499648-titanium-pedal-wrench-chain-bb-multitool-project-img_0994.jpg

Here's a link to the kickstarter page.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1954487775/pedal-whip-multitool?ref=18tuu0

You can also checkout the youtube video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IwvztsVnOU&t=5s

All the details are in the kickstarter page but heres an overview:
9/16" and 15mm pedal wrench
Shimano Bottom Bracket wrench (Works with center lock brakes too)
3 Hooks for use as a chain whip or work great as a tie down point with paracord.
Made from titanium
Weights 130grams
Made at a local shop here in Southern california with the finish work done by hand in my garage.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's only half a tool, you still need to carry a cassette tool, so for that reason, it's sh1t, and I'm out.

Apart from the fact that this is mainly a UK forum, and spam is spam.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Another solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
    Also, titanium is a terrible material for a spanner. It's expensive and brittle and not hard enough.
  • Not exactly what I was hoping to hear but thanks for your feedback regardless.

You are correct about titanium. It isn't as hard as forged steel. To be honest, I was also a bit concerned about using titanium as a wrench because of this fact. That said, I've been abusing the wrench for a while. Wailing on it with a hammer and torquing bolts extra tight. It's handled it really well and I don't expect the wrench to fail any time soon.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I on,y have the BB cups that need a spanner, not going to carry that on a right for them.....everything else is Allen key.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.